Burls

BlackSmith

Uncivil
Found this one today, never seen one this size. Pardon the cell phone picture.

Attachments

• photo01.jpg
    photo01.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 23
What species?

I dig me a good Burl. The seat here is Laurel or Bay wood. Umbellularia Caifornica. Native California hardwood, and super nice material for woodwork. Cool fresh scent too.

Attachments

• lath back laurel seat copy.jpg
    lath back laurel seat copy.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 14
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Not sure of the species Jay. I took that picture from about 80' away. The burl looks to be around 4' in diameter. You could fit a five gallon bucket in that hole easily.

I'll gladly give it up to Jay.
Postage would kill me, but then it probably would kill Jat, too.

Burls are so cool to work with.
Like Forest Gump says: " You never know what you get!".

I just found some completely unique ash burls, I've only seen something like it once before, and that was in the same forest.
My guess is that it is a genetic trait, that is unique to that population of ash trees.

Since our ash trees are going extinct, it won't matter.

But the knifemakers are lining up to buy handle stock from it:D

I like this burl. I got a little apprehensive sitting beneath it.

Attachments

• 181749_1636443025800_7120143_n[1].jpg
    181749_1636443025800_7120143_n[1].jpg
    101 KB · Views: 12
I know where there's a big burl not to far from where I live but it's about 750' down a fairly steep hillside, it was on a stump where the tree was felled above it.
We said we were going to cut it off the stump and yard it up before we moved roads, but then it never happened and only became further and further away. I'd bet it's still around as I don't know how in the hell you'd get it out of there.

Why are the trees going extinct, Stig? Beetle?

Fungus.
An imported relative to oak wilt.
I don't think there will be any ash trees in this country in 5 years.

The silver lining to that cloud is the the Chinese buy ash logs as fast as we can fell them, right now.

You would not believe the amount of ash we have felled this winter.

On my father in laws farm, there is a white oak, about 4' dbh with a burl on it that is a perfect half sphere and no less than 3 feet in diameter. I always wondered if it was worth anything.

Depends on the grain figure.
Lots of perfecty half sphere burls are just layered growth rings, started by a little irregularity like a cancer or fungal infection.

Those are pretty worthless.

But sometime a boring looking half sphere turns out to be full of the most amazing figure.

This one sat around my shop for 1½ years, because I didn't think it was any good. Quite the surprice when I finally opened it.

bøgeskålP6270001.jpg bøgeskål2P6270005.jpg

Back