Bulldog Bone

Yeah, its taken some getting used to separating myself from the products and not take it personal. It feels like my baby, but it's not, it's just a wad of metal....

it stings hearing bad feedback, but it is definitely the more valuable to hear. It does me no good to hear "it's awesome!" because that's my opinion allready.

:thumbup:

Wouldn't it be great to hear the nitty gritty feedback from out customers, the stuff couples say about our tree work that night around the dinner table. It would let us fine tune our operations for efficiency toward the ultimate goal of custy satisfaction which would make our lives a lot better. I realize we get some feedback already, and there are online reviews, but I mean fly-on-the-wall type stuff.

Knowing what is noticed, and what isn't. So often people might be concerned about some holes in the turf, but wouldn't notice a bunch of broken limbs in a neighboring tree, or bad pruning cuts, or missed hazards. They would never know about most near misses. It would be interesting if they could peek into our heads, too.

Im so freakin bad with that. Every time Robby my groundy is talking to the customer Im always in always in his ear making crude remarks......

Bad boss, bad boss

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Here is a picture of the latest Bone. I can make it with the rubber nubs shown or with aluminum nubs.

IMG_1376_zpsweacbbnv.jpg

Gordon, I like the way you reinforced the bottom link by hooking the bottom arm. Do you have any reason for not doing the same with the top arm?

David, no real reason not to, however several have used a long bollard on the upper friction link, which I have experimented with, that is easy to install after the rope is inserted, and is trapped by the side swivel link.
This allows some users the ability to stop creep with a worn or narrow line. The hook would interfere with this option.

Randy, the performance is the same wether the bottom arm is hooked or straight.

Thanks, Gordon

Good Evening Gordon, I'm a long time follower of your BDB engineering masterpiece, and now I'm in desperate need of some of your knowledge and experience for several issues that I'm experiencing. There now that I got all of the BS outta the way! I recently purchased the newest version of your masterpiece, and I'm having some difficulty with the lower arm actually getting a good grab on my climbing line, I run an 11 mm Sterling HTP rope and for reasons I'm not grasping the back plate or spine continuously allows the rope to slide several feet until I jam the upper arm, I am curious to know what would cause this to continuously happen, there does appear to be a little groove running down the back plate, but would this cause the problem that I'm experiencing? I can take some pics if you'd be willing to assess my dilemma. Could the problem be that I need to replace the piece? I'm at a bit of a crossroad here! Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated and fully compensated for your assistance! Thank You in Advance for any and all of your input. Best Regards, Dave6390 in WI.

Dave6390 in WI

Hi Kevin, Thanks for replying to my post, I was under the impression that you and Gordon are both responsible for the design and masterminding of the BDB, is this correct? This leaves me with an expensive dilemma, I have 2 pieces 300 feet long of the HTP, that are worthless for this device, , that really hurts the wallet! So, this raises 2 questions about the BDB, #1) where can I obtain a new back plate, if that is the correct name, or Spine? #2) what spliceable 11 mm rope would you personally recommend for the BDB?
Thank You Very Much, in Advance for your Assistance!
Respectfully; Dave Rohach

Dave6390 in WI

You may indeed need to use a larger dia. rope. I would recommend Tachyon, Cougar, or even KM III with the Bone. What Bollard are you using with the HTP?

Kevin designed the Rope Runner, and I have designed the Bulldog Bone.

I'm using the middle of the 3, but there is a fairly deep groove at the base of the spine. I just ordered 300 feet of Kernmaster 11 mm, but I still would like to replace the spine. If a picture would help, please let me know and I'll post a couple so you understand what I'm trying to explain. BTW, it's the Bulldog Bone w/rubber bumpers on top arm. Thanks so very much,
Surveyor ( Gordon )!!!

Dave6390 in WI

A spine without a groove would not help with grip, because the grip point is further up the flat portion of the spine. The groove is there to allow for self tending during ascent.
You might try putting the long bollard on the upper friction pin after the rope is installed, which would be trapped in place by the side swivel snap link. Or try installing the largest bollard in place of the medium bollard which came installed on the Bone. If that does not help then you would need to go with a different (fatter) rope.
Gordon

Thanks CurSed! That's a great relief, my biggest problem now is whether or not I can purchase a new spine or backplate for the Compact Bulldog, my phone won't let me access the site so I had to use my iPad so I have to sit and type instead of being on the go. I tried emailing Surveyor but the 2 emails were rejected!

Dave6390 in WI

Back