Blocking off work sites.

Yeah logs aren't a pain in the ass either..........

if its a church and bank parking lot, just get on site before 8am

Caution tape works and signage with threats of towing at owners expense works well to, at least in the ghetto of Milwaukee it did.

When we do crane jobs in Minneapolis, we usually pay for a full road closure. The city will have the police post cardboard signs on lathe stakes along the blvd that read " No parking by police order this block on __________" (whichever day of the week it is). When we are done with the job we are to collect all of these signs. We save them and use them on other projects where parking may be an issue.

I know, we could get into a little trouble posting signs that read "by police order", but we haven't yet, and when someone sees one posted, they are more likely to obey the sign rather question who really posted it.

Top can you send me some of those?

I will put one in front of my paid apartment spot that some random A-hole always feels they have the right too as opposed to me, the guy who pays it. AnyI will keep in my truck for saving spots in busy areas/events.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hey Tophopper, my sister lives in Minneapolis and she is coming to vast me this weekend. What do you say she stopped by your shop and picks up about 50 of those signs for me to borrow? I can get them back to you after Thanksgiving.

Seriously?

Im pretty sure we dont have 50, maybe a dozen or two. They are cardboard so their shelf life isnt long. And they do say Mpls police.

Sorry Nick, missed your post.

I can send you a few sans the lathe stakes.

Id better check out our supply.

Well, since Nick called dibs, he can have them. Thanks anyway.:la:

I am only kidding... besides my use for general mischief is a lot less nobler than yours of trying to TCOB. Send Eric a few of them and he can put them up on the post between the tape.

How many spots do you have to block off? 50? If you have 25 cones put a cone in every other spot and connect them with danger tape.

I have just about 50 to block off and then a straight stretch where traffic drives. I don't trust people to know they can't park some where unless the parking spot it pretty much completely blocked.

I think I am just going to get some more cones and clip some caution tape to them. I was just curious if there was a better way since I had to go out and buy something anyhow. Getting more cones makes the most sense to me since you can always use more cones and they store nice and compactly.

Eric have you looked into spike strips. I mean come on if that doesn't send a stay out message nothing will.:D

I know, we could get into a little trouble posting signs that read "by police order", but we haven't yet, and when someone sees one posted, they are more likely to obey the sign rather question who really posted it.

Lucky for you people out there are so trusting. We post no parking all the time, signs get ripped down or people will call claiming we didn't follow the proper procedueres...

We use No Parking signs here. The company you get them from sets up the time, dates with the Police department and the tow company. They check to verify you have them out 48 hours ahead of time, and unless they steal all of them, there is no problem getting the vehicles towed. Quite entertaining actually to see the entitled asshead go apoplectic when his precious BMW gets towed off cause he thought he was exempt.

I had a guy park his Lexus next to the 25 ton crane in the parking lot, and on the other side was a large pile of brush. It was almost as if things were still in motion caused we had only stopped for lunch He picked up on the unhappy folks two hours later as soon as he walked up the driveway with his wife. I couldn't believe it. He walked with a limp so nobody gave him much sh@t.

I had a small job with similar issues, we turned some small cones upside down, put a 4' pole through the hole, blocked it off and poured cement into the cone. Once it hardened the cones popped off so they can be used as normal.
Now we have cement inserts with 4' pole that we can use when needed to string the tape between.

Good read period! Bermy clever thanks;)
College town has all these issues, best we have found is the tow co. signs, you may get lucky there as they are usually more than glad to tow;)

Back