Bigger Than Normal Notches - For Me.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I agree with all you guys... The boss doesnt like to take the time to sharpen OTJ as I mentioned which is the REASON I use my own equipment, I take it home at night and make sure it is sharp for work. I stay after sometimes to sharpen the stuff but then I get the why did you work so late bit...eh sometimes its lose lose.

Nothing worse than looking at the saw box:Bosses 029-029-046-066-192-192....All wrecked, dull as ever. My 460 and 200t, sharp as new.

I'm sorry but even a brand new chain isn't sharp enough for me most of the time. Your boss is like most tree guys around here, half dull is good enough. I refuse to use a saw that isn't sharp.

I agree with all you guys... The boss doesnt like to take the time to sharpen OTJ as I mentioned which is the REASON I use my own equipment, I take it home at night and make sure it is sharp for work. I stay after sometimes to sharpen the stuff but then I get the why did you work so late bit...eh sometimes its lose lose.

Nothing worse than looking at the saw box:Bosses 029-029-046-066-192-192....All wrecked, dull as ever. My 460 and 200t, sharp as new.

Sounds like you've got your boss beat by model as well. I take a moment to touch up a chain often. Heck, I'll even sneak a filing on Carl's saw when he ain't looking :/:(y'all don't mention that!). Another reason there are 6 to 8 saws in the back of my truck at all times. If/when I hit metal/rock/etc, I can set it down and grab another saw, rather than having to shut it down for a few minutes to sharpen up. Spares are an added plus when a breakdown occurs. A couple of weeks ago, I had a 200 hang in a chunk, and as I fought to keep from losing it, the bottom shock ripped, along with the manifold boot. I called out for the other 200, sent it down and swapped out. Lost about 3 minutes, time-wise.

I agree Brian, I often sharpen new, out-of-the-box chains. I have hit the drags a lick on a brand new chain at times.

Offhand, it seems like if the boss can't at least maintain his companies saws in a reasonable way, or make provision to have them maintained, it makes me wonder what other aspects of his business could be suffering from laziness or whatever it is. I mean maybe it is his only shortcoming, but having the saws work well just seems real fundamental. If his record keeping and books are a mess, for example, that's his problem. I'm more thinking how the bad work habits affect the employees, maybe to the point of adversely affecting safety?

Offhand, it seems like if the boss can't at least maintain his companies saws in a reasonable way, or make provision to have them maintained, it makes me wonder what other aspects of his business could be suffering from laziness or whatever it is. I mean maybe it is his only shortcoming, but having the saws work well just seems real fundamental. If his record keeping and books are a mess, for example, that's his problem. I'm more thinking how the bad work habits affect the employees, maybe to the point of adversely affecting safety?

Usually a person like that thinks that way in all aspects of their life, not just on the job or in how they run the business. They are only looking at the immediate cost in either $$ or time lost and not at the big picture. Even a layman like myself can recognize that a sharpened chain is only a temporary time loss but faster in the long run, the same with the non-pro saws and poor maintenance. People like that just don't plan ahead, can't think ahead. If it was me in that situation, I would end up feeling that the boss is not really maintaining his own stuff because he knows I'll tire of it and use my own gear. Been there.

I'd rather be scraping by and be in control of it myself.

This is one of the points where loggers and arbos think differently.

For a production faller, even the thought of running a dull chain is pure heresy!

You'll starve in the woods, doing that!

And Brian, arbo though he be, is completely in right implying that thinking a chain is sharp out of the box, falls in the same category.

One of the first thing we tell new apprentices is that running a dull chain will not be tolerated.

Our latest one was quite surprised when he got royally chewed out by me, when I ran his saw and found it less than sharp, since two days before, he had felled a tree across his 660, and my response had been:
" Shit happens!"

Have to give the young ones a sense of priorities. And running a sharp chain is right at the top of those.

Most woodworking apprenticeships start out with learning to sharpening, I mean after cleaning the toilets or whatever nice jobs the boss may want to give you to cleanse your spirit. :roll: I'll never forget standing over the stones for days on end for six months. Hands were in bad shape. Knowing sharp is a good strong root to have on your growing tree. It seems like it could be more emphasized in some companies, give someone the task over and over for at least a few days.......a hundred chains? One way to determine if they are serious about the work, then consider paying them a wage if they are still eager.

Thanks Jer. I think Stephen wanted me to post that in a larger form. Although, after reading the last half hour on this thread, I don't remember why I put it on there ....lol...

It is an awesome shot and example for certain :thumbup:
Seeing that shot the first time saved my butt once on a screwed up face. Showed me how to correct something simply.

Thanks for the edit Stephen. Yup, that's what I meant, of course.

Bonner: Best of luck landing a job for a non-suicidal tree guy!

Back