Best Tire Chains???

top_notch

Treehouser
I was thinking about getting these. Anyone tried them? Which tire chains do you think is best. I'm planning on using them on my truck when plowing some steep drives in my area.

Those diamond patterns work the best for ice and snow, plus that design is easy to put on. Much less tendency to slide sideways than with ladder chains.
I had a set for putting my jetboat in on icy ramps for winter steelhead fishing

Those diamond patterns work the best for ice and snow, plus that design is easy to put on. Much less tendency to slide sideways than with ladder chains.
I had a set for putting my jetboat in on icy ramps for winter steelhead fishing

+1 on diamond vs ladder. I assume you're buying for your truck. However, ladder chains can be better for a skid steer. I have diamond's for my truck but built a heavy ladder set for my skid steer which needs to slide sideways to steer. Just a thought ...

Those do look good. I've never used diamond pattern chains, always ladder style.

With ladder style, I've had the best results with V bars welded to the cross chain links.

In my opinion, the easiest to install, tighten, and remove are the ones with 4 half disk tighteners on the outer circumference chain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Burnham, do you ever drive the v bar chains on asphalt? It seems that they wouldn't do very well. I am thinking the diamond chain would be pretty good going down the road between areas where I would need to use the chains.

I can see how the v bars have the best traction especially on ice.

+1 on diamond vs ladder. I assume you're buying for your truck. However, ladder chains can be better for a skid steer. I have diamond's for my truck but built a heavy ladder set for my skid steer which needs to slide sideways to steer. Just a thought ...

Yup chains for my truck. Wish I had a skid steer!

Forgot to add that is another advantage to the diamond style, they ride much nicer going down the road.
And a note if you are plowing for hire, some folks don't like the holes left in the blacktop be the vbars.

I generally make it a practice to take tire chains, V bar or not, off if there's no snow/ice coverage. :)

Yes, they can beat the hell out of an asphalt surface, especially starting/stopping with some spin/skid going on. I couldn't care less, if it's keeping me from sliding into the ditch :D. That's what chains are for. Actually, they can be pretty unkind to concrete surfacing, too.

I definitely can see the advantage of the diamond style in providing a smoother ride. I can also see the inclination to drive faster as a result...

It's got to get pretty bad in these parts to need chains although I do keep them on the tractor in winter .

The only type I've ever used has been the ladder type which do get a bite .If you toss a cross chain they can tear some stuff up too . I've seen the type with the welded v shaped teeth but don't recall ever using them .

Fact there's two- three sets in a big 7.5 gallon bucket in one of my sheds .Haven't used them in years .Let me tell you a bucket full of chains is a beech to try and lift too .

Got em in only two days after ordering. They seem sweet! Did a little driveway clean up today, pushing back the snow from our four foot dump over the last week. The chains seem like they are going to be awesome. This truck is a tank with them on there.

CIMG1845.jpg CIMG1843.jpg CIMG1844.jpg

Back