Best rope and best price for rigging lines.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
That was the closest I've come. It was a calculated risk, but roughly calculated by me! Lol. There was a tense moment when that big loader grunted and that old line zinged and I started thinking about it snapping and the resulting shock to the tree sending it the opposite way we were pulling it, right onto one of the water systems pump houses on the side of the river. Ugly thought, that luckily never came to pass.

Oh I broke a lot of rigging pulling logs and stumps. Brutal. But no harm done to anything but the rigging itself.

Boy you wouldn't want to be in the way when it snaps! Yeow!

Cable lines though? I've seen alot of cable let loose. Logging is a whole other game though.

You should have seen that pulley system fly when that pull line on that big pine last month.. HOLY MOLY! Both Rob and I just turned our backs to it heading away from the pullers hoping not to get hit. It all hit the anchor tree and fell to the ground... wild.

How is Peak Impact Force different than breaking strength?

The peak impact force has to do with the elasticity of the rope. With a set load dropped a set distance, an access line would have a very high peak impact force, whereas (or whilst) True Blue's or Dynasorb's (is that what its called) stretchiness would have a lesser peak impact force as it cushions the blow, IIRC. Been a long time since I've looked at rock climbing rope specs (unfortunately, but getting paid to climb trees is fun and profitable).

$130 was a deal. I went in there today for some new suspenders(yee haw!) and the same rope now in a bag was $190.

I ordered this yesterday from Treestuff.com:

1 - Husky 1/2" Bull Rope by All Gear - 150' Length $99.95 $99.95
Availability: In Stock

I have had a 3 strand for a LONG time...it was looking pretty old, dry, very broke-in. Alex and I used it last week to snake some pine logs up into the woods (a drop and leave) and I told him I thought his pull would probably break the line...even told him I kinda hoped it would since I have been thinking I needed to retire that rope anyway (probably 15 years old, occasional use, not like most of you guys).

I was right...it zinged real tight and made a great popping noise...now have TWO old 1/2 inch lines. We'll see how the Husky line does..for rigging, not snaking.

Attachments

• huskyrpoe.jpg
    huskyrpoe.jpg
    8.4 KB · Views: 5
How does that Husky rope compare to Stable Braid? The pic looks more similar than Yale's Double Esterlon. I like it okay, but it picks more than Stable Braid...the jacket (cover) seems a bit looser. Unless of course, I just haven't broken it in good yet. All in all though, Stable Braid is my current favorite.

So i am getting a rigging line. I have been using Bills which is some 1/2" noname thing, it works fine but I need my own.

I am debating between these two lines:

Husky 1/2" @ 9500lbs and $100$ for 150' - weighs 12lbs
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=3&item=700

or

Husky 9/16 A 14,000lbs and $135 for 150' - weighs 18lbs
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=3&item=1006

Does it make sense to get the 9/16? It might be used as an 'everyday' line, not just a bull rope, or is the 1/2" sufficient? My thinking is get the bigger stuff and when you need it youve got it. I am familiar with 5/8" lines and 1/2" lines, is the 9/16 going to feel really big in my hand?

I am going to order it tonight or tomorrow, along with the telescoping pole saw pole I have been eyeing... My tax return just came through!

I say get the 9/16". I worked for years with that being the biggest rope in our arsenal. 1/2" might be easier to use everyday because of the lower bulk, but you get used to the extra size of 9/16" real fast.

Only one rope 1/2"or 9/16" for dropping log & branch bombs? 9/16" hands down!

The same nick or amount of wear on both ropes will always have a greater, negative affect on the smaller one. Decreasing its strength by a greater percentage.

My vote is for Stable Braid. Never heard of this Huscky line before. I have not seen a situation where some new rope would give me any more productivity or speed things up in any way. With out a greater risk.
I am at a point where I really have no desire to try some thing new when it comes to my bull rope & my saddle.

Ask yourself what bollard you will be using with it. 1/2 runs better on a porty and with smaller loads. How big of pieces are you used to taking. Yes 9/16ths will take more abuse. Just some thoughts.

I've run 5/8ths on a porty a ton and it seems fine. My new 9/16th line runs fine on the port too? I better try out a 1/2" just to see the difference now.

Nick,

Some of this is what I sent you in my PM...I got the 1/2" Husky a few weeks ago. My first use of it was that tree I took down that was felled thru the slot in the deck. I used it at first with a block and it did fine. About half way thru the tree I ran it thru the block AND a natural crotch...the natural was a redirect in a separate part of the tree from the block...it let me change the drop zone for pieces. We probably lowered 15-20 limbs thru the natural crotch, some of them fairly large (maybe 200? pounds -- I know they were heavy). It took the abrasion well.

My son and I just used it again this weekend a lot felling some white pines and poplars, thru a block again..it did well.

My only complaint so far is the hockling. It gets gnarled up a bit, I guess as a result of going thru the portawrap.

I was concerned it would pick a lot, I only have used 3 strand for natural crotching before. When I broke my old 1/2 inch three strand I decided to try the modern double braid rope...so far it is very good.

BUT...if I had to make the choice you present...I have 9/16" Stable Braid that I use for heavier stuff and I like it a lot. It handles very well...but I have only used it thru blocks. I don't know how Stable Braid does with natural crotch. I always use a block when I can; I am sure that has to be better for the rope in the long run.

I am using the Husky 1/2" thru natural crotches as needed if it will be quicker than hanging a block...for $100 I decided to use it however is most efficient.

Anyway, 1/2" Husky or 9'16 Husky??...I'd go 9/16" so you have the strength if you need it.

Well I completely ignored the resounding advice of all of you, not on purpose albeit, but I did. I asked Meg what she thought and she said if I wasnt saying that I ABSOLUTELY needed it, then I likely didnt.

Coupled with being cheap, impatient and and early sleeper/riser by the time I was ready for bed I just ordered the 1/2" stuff .Based on the fact that I have dropped in the past, some of the biggest logs/branches/leads I ever have, on old 3 strand and a retired rock climbing rope I used for rigging I am guessing the 10,000lbs 1/2" will be enough.

This way I guess I can still get a 5/8's line at a later date for when I need a big gun and have a real separation between purposes and lines.

Thanks everyone for chiming in, I wish i had waited a bit because in truthfulness I likely would have bought the 9/16's after reading your thoughts, but I guess I have to stick with my rationalization featured above!

Nick

I despise hockling so I've stuck with Arbormaster 1/2" ropes over the years. I've tried other 1/2" double braids and keep going back to Arbormaster. Something named Husky reminds me of Home Depot house brand stuff (cheap and marginally adequate). I've learned to not cut corners when it comes to the tools with which I make my living. I don't want anything that's cheap and marginally adequate.

I don't think Husky rope is a low quality rope at all. It's not new and it's made by a great company who makes many very good products. It's just made by a smaller company. I know I am able to keep my prices lower than my competition here because I am smaller and more efficient. Same thing with All Gear.

Back