Best rope and best price for rigging lines.

I think the rope is initially stiffer than Stable Braid but after use I cant tell the difference. Maybe the diameter of the Husky is larger which would account for the added weight. As far as chafe resistance and strength couldn't there be a difference in the way the sheaths are made and a difference in the way the core is made? Don't dbl braids share the load between the core and sheath? If that was the case, each manufacturer could tweek the sheath as well as the core to get very different characteristics.

I like TrueBlue or elcheapo Arborplex for for natural crotch rigging. I never put to much thought into the Husky lines but the one I have has been great. Maybe I am not very particular but I can't tell much if any, difference between it and SB. Takes everything I have thrown at it.

Very interesting info guys.

ABS is good to know and all, but I'm more concerned with how a line performs and to me Stable Braid and Yale's Double Esterlon are my favs.

Peak impact force would be an interesting thing to know as well. This is a spec on rock climbing ropes, tested with a standard situation.

...Maybe the diameter of the Husky is larger which would account for the added weight. As far as chafe resistance and strength couldn't there be a difference in the way the sheaths are made and a difference in the way the core is made? Don't dbl braids share the load between the core and sheath? If that was the case, each manufacturer could tweek the sheath as well as the core to get very different characteristics.

If the husky is larger diameter, then we'd have to call it 11/16 or 3/4, not 5/8.

Yes, in a typical polyester/polyester double braid, the strength is just about perfectly split 50/50 between cover and core. If they threw off that balance TOO much, All Gear would have to come up with some other splice for it that accounted for that.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Well I picked up a 9/16 SB locally for $130 for 150'. I don't like it being that short but I needed to get a new line and the price seemed ok.

The last 9/16" Stable Braid I bought was over $500...but I bought a bit more than 150'. :/: Sounds like a good price, Justin. 150' is the length I normally buy/use.

For the Husky bull rope the quoted weight at TreeStuff is 21lb for 150 ft, which works out to the same weight (14lb/100') as the stable braid. The rope is actually manufactured here in Canada not far from where I am. Told them how I was learning to splice and they sold me rope ends at $1/lb...

For the Husky bull rope the quoted weight at TreeStuff is 21lb for 150 ft, which works out to the same weight (14lb/100') as the stable braid. The rope is actually manufactured here in Canada not far from where I am. Told them how I was learning to splice and they sold me rope ends at $1/lb...

Welcome to the TreeHouse, GY!

Since I started using 9/16" SB, I seldom get the 5/8" out any more. In fact, I use 1/2" the most these days, and just take smaller pieces. So much easier to work with.

I only have one 200' piece of rope on the truck, and I've only used it once, when I had to rig a skyline/speedline on a job. I very seldom need anything over 150'. I'm currently using a remnant I got from Wesspur a couple of years ago that is about 135' long.

I had a 200 foot hank in this little guy. Tickled me when we were lowering one side and then speed lining the other with the same hank of rope. I just tossed the tail of the rope out over the hedge and to the field we had to land stuff in and never pulled any of the other rigging until later when we started moving down the tree. I just set a porty to lock it up in the tree and Rob used a Z rig to tension the line. We finished the zip lining, I hauled the tail back and started rigging more wood out over the patio. :lol:

Attachments

• IMG_20111213_113656.jpg
    IMG_20111213_113656.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20111213_140018.jpg
    IMG_20111213_140018.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 12
I only have a 200' piece of half inch anymore and I save that for zip lines at a kids camp I do in the summers. Down to my last 200' of 5/8 but i think after I recover from another transmission I am going back to 1/2", it is easier to fine tune how many wraps you need to really control a piece and at 10k pounds I really rarely need any more than that

I've got a 1/2" Stable braid that's only lightly burned. I'm moving down from mostly using a 5/8ths to this 9/16ths now, yes probably still overkill but it makes me feel secure.

I'm going to half because all we used to use was old climbing line and I never broke one of those rigging so I feel confident going to 1/2" stable braid

I was hillbilly yarding some oak out of a creek bed with the pick up for a customer not too long ago with an old hank of 1/2 SB we had retired. AMAZING the abuse it will take :lol: 5 - 800# oak logs jumping over boulders and stumps :lol:

Yup. I used a old 5/8th to pull a cottonwood over with a big-azz wheel loader. The tree was to rotted to even cut and kind of favored the lay. It did some damage to the rope, visible damage as well as whatever else but the rope held and pulled the tree over. The city guy running the loader was wigged out. Lol.

It was a calculated risk, that tree was brutal. I've seen some hollowed out cottonwoods before but this one was so far gone you could've easily crawled inside of it while it was still standing, one of those ones you look at and can't believe it's standing let alone withstood the last storm and countless before that. Trees never cease to amaze me.

Back