Best natural crotch climbing rope ?

Climbhigh

TreeHouser
Need a new rope for traditional climbing ( split tail blakes). all I've used is arborplex. It works OK but was looking for recommendations as there seems to be allot more ropes to chose from now.I guess the main consideration would be abrasion resistance as I plan to use it natural crotch only. Sap proof would be nice also! I've tried the conduit cambium saver but it doesn't always stay were its supost too, but that's just adding more complication and I want to keep it simple. If I want complicated I can always go SRT and by the time you load up your saddle with hand ascenders, knee ascenders, foot ascenders, pulleys... kitchen sink... I sometimes feel like a walking garage sale. Any input appreciated. Thanks!

I'd prob say arbormaster. But I also think srt isn't as complicated as u said. The only thing that hangs off my saddle is my knee ascender when I take it off.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'd prob say arbormaster. But I also think srt isn't as complicated as u said. The only thing that hangs off my saddle is my knee ascender when I take it off.

yea your right, just trying to add a little drama to a boring post I guess! I love SRT so far, but I have only tried the unicender and pretzel ID

I like Samson arbormaster with a leather cambium saver when on DdRT with the hitch climber, vortex when on my HH 95% of the time now.

BRW has been tough as nails for crane work and natural crotch climbing. It is not too bad when I've used it for SRT. I got decent life out of hi-vee but it is spongy compared to BRW and wore out quicker.

I like Samson arbormaster with a leather cambium saver when on DdRT with the hitch climber, vortex when on my HH 95% of the time now.

In your opinion would the Vortex work well with a VT setup and a micro pulley? I been eyeballing it, we are using the Arb Bluestreak rope at work and it's been pretty tuff in natural crotches so far. Sorry for the slight hijack.

I'd think it would be great, best through a friction saver of some sort. Hitch climber set up is the way to go DdRT, IMHO. But I have not even considered using the HH for DdRT, SRT is way better for working.

I'd think it would be great, best through a friction saver of some sort. Hitch climber set up is the way to go DdRT, IMHO. But I have not even considered using the HH for DdRT, SRT is way better for working.

I really like the SJ for ddrt, but sounds like I need to put the HH on my short list for srt. Still like the simple blakes settup for quick jobs were i don't want to fuss with all the extra procedures. What is "BRW" rope by the way. thanks

Yale Blaze for me ddrt/rope wrench srt. Imo go with yale cant really go wrong. Just an opinion though.

In your opinion would the Vortex work well with a VT setup and a micro pulley? I been eyeballing it, we are using the Arb Bluestreak rope at work and it's been pretty tuff in natural crotches so far. Sorry for the slight hijack.
Vortex works awesome with the HC set to. But Arbormadter lines like the blue streak, big foot, etc hold up better natural crotch IMO. But my vortex is holding its own. I just see .ore picking on rough bark. Both lines also work well with the HH. I also can SRT on these lines just fine. Sampson makes a great product. When I started trying new systems moving away from a Blake's set up, I was already familiar with the arbormaster lines and that familiarity made the transition more comfortable IMO.

I really like the SJ for ddrt, but sounds like I need to put the HH on my short list for srt. Still like the simple blakes settup for quick jobs were i don't want to fuss with all the extra procedures. What is "BRW" rope by the way. thanks

Ahhh, never crossed my mind with mechanicals, I always use hitch based for the price point.....errr..... cheapness..... hence the humbleness.

Thank you for all the advice gentlemen, I ended up ordering Arbormaster. Now that you guys have me talked into taking srt more seriously its time to decide which settup is the best for me, HH,Rw,Rr.. Good thing is there's already allot of discussion on the board about that subject . But I'm sure ill have more questions. Thanks again!

throwing in my vote for the rope wrench. It's my favorite, because it is just so smoooth. 8)

Yeah Im looking at that as the most affordable option since I already have a Hitch climber settup.What teather do you use? have you tried that new Oceans split tail teather?

16 strand is best for natural crotch ddrt climbing by far. Stay away from wrecking good double braids on natural crotches. I would go with a simple abr or @height tether for the rw. The oceans tether is very nice too but a bit more pricey.

Back