Power Lines and Climbing

So back to the OP

How close do you climb to an uncoated primary??

Definetly not close at all. Just not worth it. Have the power co TD the top of the tree. Stay away. If you are in a properly insulated bucket, 10' would be plenty close for me.

In Oz I have $5 million insurance (the minimum), in Bermy land I have $500,000, neither cover electricity screwups.

10' away minimum, I've had a tingle that made my hands hurt for 20mins, that's enough for the rest of my career!
Don't feel right, walk away.

I found myself climbing near primaries a few years ago. From the ground it didn't look too bad so I went up but once up there I was looking at these damn uncoated 1" thick cables about 6' away. I got the tree done but felt stupid for doing it. Never again. Another tree on this job was equally close, but instead of climbing it as planned we did a bunch of work to get the bucket in. Much better.

I don't like doing it, but often times we are working way closer to the primaries then we should. Work has to get done though, just have to try and be as safe and careful as possible.

So back to the OP

How close do you climb to an uncoated primary??

Legally for me and 90% of my staff....I think its 2'9". But we have an internal policy because we do not do line clearance per se. 5 feet and it's your decision at that. To be honest, anything closer than 10 feet, and they have the option to decide for themselves based on comfort level, tree structure, desired task and pucker factor.

Coated? Uncoated? No difference!

I tend to agree with Al, but I don't know what it's technically called. If it weren't insulation there's be a dead short. Speaking of squirrels chewing, I called the power co. this morning on this bite mark. They came out within 10 min and just wrapped elec tape over it.

IMG_1259.jpg

In reality it's insulation but in legalese it is just weatherproofing and ONLY weatherproofing. If the power companies EVER call it insulation then it opens them up to all sorts of liability and that's not going to happen. So they will steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that it is insulation at any time or in any situation.

But it's insulation. Otherwise painters and roofers would be falling over dead on a daily basis.

The XLPE insulation meets the requirements of ANSI/ICEA S-76-474-2004 (Standard for Neutral-Supported Power Cable Assemblies with Weather-Resistant Extruded Insulation Rated 600 Volts)

You want to get technical about it they make tri plex up to 35KV rated .It isn't used much .I've installed short runs that carried 4160 though .

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Did you just say "ANSI/ICEA S-76-474-2004 (Standard for Neutral-Supported Power Cable Assemblies with Weather-Resistant Extruded Insulation Rated 600 Volts)"

Thats what one of my tattoos says!

In reality it's insulation but in legalese it is just weatherproofing and ONLY weatherproofing. If the power companies EVER call it insulation then it opens them up to all sorts of liability and that's not going to happen. So they will steadfastly refuse to acknowledge that it is insulation at any time or in any situation.

But it's insulation. Otherwise painters and roofers would be falling over dead on a daily basis.

I've been nipped a time or two while roofing around weatherheads in my roofing days.The biggest threat in that arena is where the power company swages on their connectors, which are usually grease-filled, bare aluminum. They then proceed to wrap 60' or so of electrical tape around said connector, which doesn't last but so many years in the weather. I've been on roofs where more of the connector was exposed than covered, the tape had peeled and broken away so bad. I usually taped them back up for my own safety, as well as anyone else who had the misfortune of having to work around them.

Back