best hitch cord you've found

• Thread starter wll
  • Start date
  • Replies 55
  • Views 5K
W

wll

i use ta use bailout but i just discovered a sterling brand, its much like the bailout but is a double carrier kernmantle tecnora construction with a much better feel.

Plain Jane double braid polyester such as New England Sta-Set. It will melt quickly when used on a new lifeline, but once your lifeline is fuzzed up a little the cord lasts a long time. It's cheap, strong and just the right firmness.

For Poison Ivy its a toss-up between HRC and 8mm Beeline.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bee-line fans

ever try the bailout?

Like Brian, I prefer the Yacht braids. Since I don't do long rapid descents the cords last well. Cheap and effective are good qualities in combination.

Which Beeline did you try? the 8mm is different from the 10mm. (8mm has more tach in the cover, 10mm has more poly)

Which Beeline did you try? the 8mm is different from the 10mm. (8mm has more tach in the cover, 10mm has more poly)
i have used both but i like the thinner stuff betta. bailout is better then the bee fer sure;)

Yep, that pisses me off too. 8mm Beeline has a Vectran core and 10mm has a polyester core plus the jackets have different compositions. 10mm Beeline isn't comparable to 8mm.

I've tried bailout and beeline and just about every new cord that seems popular but I always come back to standard yacht braid or sta-set, 3/8" I think it is.

I am probably going to order a few different cords now that I have my measurements for the VT. I don't really want to cut up my Bail Out prussic. So I will get some Bail Out, HRC and probably some Bee Line to play with :D

I am probably going to order a few different cords now that I have my measurements for the VT. I don't really want to cut up my Bail Out prussic. So I will get some Bail Out, HRC and probably some Bee Line to play with :D
get e'm all, thats what i did:)

I'm liking HRC best right now. I found the Beeline 8mm too limp for my taste...bites too hard and tightens up too tight. Using icicle hitch...the choice of hitch and host lifeline makes as much difference as the choice of hitch cordage in how happy you'll be.

It really does depend a lot on the combination of rope, knot and hitch cord... body weight too.

If I splice HRC so that it's a single diameter, that is, the buries only go a few inches rather than the full length, it is super secure and doesn't ever need resetting after advancing. But after a while it gets too tight. Same thing with 8mm Beeline.

If I splice HRC or BL with full length buries, the cord is thicker and slightly stiffer. It's super smooth and predictable in every respect except that sometimes the coil will compress and not reset without a little help. That takes some getting used to but overall, it climbs better because it doesn't get so tight it seizes.

I'm a big HRC fan but at the moment I'm riding Beeline cuz that's what I happen to have made up.

HRC will also respond differently depending on how you twist the eyes before clipping in.

Back