Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

Raj those pacs are good stuff keep slamming them. I have the same problem if I don't stretch good before getting in the rope. I am also working 2 jobs and weld a lot with a huge aluminum gun. So my hands and wrists are really getting punished. I believe we are in the same boat there, but the stretching has all but made it disappear. I am also rubbing the wrists down at night with Blu Emu all the way up the forearm, this also helps a lot. Even if it just feels good lol.

When my fingers get cramps or get sore from gripping I turn to the Atlas style gloves really helps immensely.

I wear them to avoid cramps and sore fingers.

good thing I reread that. I know I'm prone to typos when my brain gets going faster than my fingers... I had written, "I wear them to avoid craps and sore fingers". Just doesn't sound right.

I am also rubbing the wrists down at night with Blu Emu all the way up the forearm, this also helps a lot. Even if it just feels good lol.

It certainly doesn't just feel good. Its preventative, and rehabilitative.

I read something in a Tech Tip in (rock) CLIMBING about cross fiber massage, but don't remember exactly what.

A foam roller or hard ball rolled on the arm muscles helps.

haven't bought an ArmAid, yet.

Airaid.com
<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0BzyXc6NtMk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/c4NTxMrjK2c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hey guys! New arborist here just learning the ropes. I'm enjoying the posts. I'm currently gaff climbing but mainly SRT and tips for knots and limb walking technique tips?

Arborist learning the ropes

Jason.
I'll fill out the profile a little. just getting into the business a little so trying to gain some overall advice and techniques

Double crotch on tough limb walks. There's no shame in using a second tie in to keep yourself stable and allow you to do good work. Bad positioning often leads to cuts made at the wrong angle and location and also the quality suffers when I climber can't get stable and says to hell with it when it comes to pruning the ends properly.

SRT these days is best done with either one of the friction sharing devices (Hitch Hiker or Rope Wrench) which combines a closed friction hitch with a mechanical device, or one of the new all mechanical devices (Rope Runner or Bulldog Bone).

A closed friction hitch is one that has both sides terminating in a knot or a spliced eye attached to your karabiner (VT, Distel and many others), an open hitch has one end attached to your 'biner, the other end free (Blakes, tautline).

A Blakes hitch is not recommended alone for SRT, it WILL bind with all your weight on it ion the one leg of your climb line...remember when climbing DdRT your weight is shared between the two sides of your climb line.

As always, if I'm off base on any of this, someone else more experienced will chime in to make sure you are not directed too far off track!

I can only throw my throw bag 60 ish feet if I'm doing SRT how do I get higher... Throw another line?

I'm very proficient at getting my throw weight stuck in the tree. But I'm also getting much better at retrieval techniques!

Pull it slowly to not spin it around branches. A lighter weight for throwing/ shooting, which is let it fall to the ground, can be swapped for a heavy weight for manipulating around the tree. 12oz initially, up to 16-20 oz for "dancing" if there is a lot of bark/ moss friction.

Back