Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

I get them from rock and tree climbing, and mtn biking as well. What I have found most effective is pulling back on my fingertips to stretch the muscles and tendons. I start with all my fingers together and hold it for at least 10 or 20 seconds (you'll feel it pull in your forearms) then I do each finger individually. When I used to race downhill mtn bikes I did this all the time, while driving, watching tv, etc.

I wonder how that would work with finger cramps, I get them something fierce after about 4 hours of climbing.
I do as well and we need more glucose and potassium. Here is an excellent link that shows good pics on how to stretch your wrist. This is the exact routine I do with my arms as well. Do not be afraid to target a specific muscle group for an extra 5 mins or so if it feels tighter than normal.http://www.physioadvisor.com.au/8113750/wrist-stretches-wrist-flexibility-exercises-ph.htm

Made this a few years back...old clunky camera, nothing like today's GoPro's. Experimenting with legs extended and tucked to control spin speed.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/8VHnQMHgB3M" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yes, both foot and knee. I've been doing some stretching but not as in depth as the links provided (which I will do now, thanks!) and have been taking electrolyte additive to my water from the pharmacy, as well as a banana or two before a climb. I'm on a full 1/2inch rope. Luckily 4 hours makes a big mess and 99% of the time the HO cleans up, they end up stopping me so they can have a chance at cleaning up.

Are your hand muscles cramping, or a different pain.

Only hold on to everything slightly harder than absolutely necessary.

Overhead TIP?

Cramping and contracting into a claw, yes on the high as possible TIP, pedialyte no, but some powder equivalent from the pharmacy at least 1L before the job. I have a petzl chest harness I'll probably start using a bit more, keep upright with that instead of my hands.

Sounds like chainsaw claw (rope gripping claw). Stretch a lot. Massage you muscles a lot. Electrolytes never hurt. Lots of water... Monitor how much comes out, not how much goes in.

Load up on Pedialyte beforehand!

Yep use to drink that stuff before wrestle meets in high school. Sounds weird but monitor your pee. The more clear your pee is the more hydrated. The more it looks like yellow like bud light the more (dehydrated) you are.

Also what I learned in the army is to hydrate the day before a road march, that way your already ahead of the game, also eat well like rice, noodles, carbs are energy. And will also help with the cramping.

Why not pedialyte? It's chock full of the good stuff, blows gatoraid away.

Not gatoraid, it's powdered electrolytes add to water, right next to pedialyte, but hey, I'll try anything a few times!

I've already seen my Doctor about it, he's so concerned that he's going to watch me trim his trees and suggest treatment........ hey wait a minute.......:/:

These are what I am using,(from Australia, they have to be good!!!) 1 package per 200ml. When I have them in my truck on the seat the girlfriend always takes a second glance at them, sometimes she thinks they are condoms.

IMG3509.jpg

That's good your in touch with your doctor. I was going to suggest that.

Are you chronically gripping? Climbing and groundwork and hand tools and carrying and...

Do your fingers curl a lot when "at rest"?

My day gig is an electric motor mechanic, yes, a lot of hand tools, been shifting to larger easier to handle tools to avoid gripping (ie nut drivers), my fingers don't tend to curl, I like them flat when I'm at rest, doin' nothin'. Past 4 years been climbing part time, usually once or twice a week, only since last year I've had this issue. Past few climbs have been not bad, with stretches and takin' a shot of Aleve.

I was kinda worried I was bein' set up for a are you "a master of your domain" joke, at my expense! ;)

Back