Beginner Tree Climbing Tips

If you take a second lanyard, attach it to your centre attachment point, use that to 'hang' in a bit better, more comfortable than side D's.
You can do this if you can't or don't want to use a top line. If I have to stop for a while I use a centre attachment, either main line, or rope lanyard in addition to wire core flipline.

Found this video on another site about gaffing out so I thought I'd share

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3GO225gxHN0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't you guys just roll up a monkey fist and bomb your line up ahead? I do. If the weight of a few rope coils and the biner wont get high enough I just twist up a money fist and launch that sucker. Blows through suckers and foliage pretty good and comes back to me nice with a few over hand loops.

Im curious, why the extra gear? You can advance a rope without extra baggage. Am I the only one that throws a rope?

Sometimes I throw rope...but I can throw the ball a lot further. Depends on how high I need to throw the line. I got it for 25 cents probably 25 years ago and it's just become part of what is on my saddle.

Helps do this, too:

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mb8ENlvpQww" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I seldom threw my rope in the tree because I' m bad at this game.
I prefer by (very) far my 15 feet long telescopic pole. A S shaped hook allows me to put my rope and retrieve it over me or side way. It's a very useful tool and an essential part on my saddle. It saves me a great amount of time and energy.
There are some other interesting uses : freeing a stuck rope, breaking small dead woods, catching or dropping hangers and lost limbs...

Ayuh,
I throw my rope to advance it. I've got an ISC Big Dan steel 'biner on the end
that I can move my TIP at least 5' in heavy limbs and 10'+ if it's open. If I want
to advance beyond that, say 20'+, I have a line mug hooked on my saddle with a
"short"(60')throwline and 10oz weight that works great..... :)
But for the "short" advances I'll use just my rope every time, it's extremely efficient. :thumbup::D

Maybe having the flu this week has "clouded" my brain, I was thinking about tree access.

Like this.....

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wcGr3STkj6c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I've been using Foot locking to help move my fat ass up the rope. It's a big help for an old guy that's out of shape.
It had never worked for me. The biggest length that I climbed like that is about 5 feet !

If you want some help to ascent your rope easier, try the Pantin on your ankle, or two Pantin if you climb on the double line. Much more easier for the legs, knees and feet than the foot lock, and very efficient, no risk of slipping.

It had never worked for me. The biggest length that I climbed like that is about 5 feet !

If you want some help to ascent your rope easier, try the Pantin on your ankle, or two Pantin if you climb on the double line. Much more easier for the legs, knees and feet than the foot lock, and very efficient, no risk of slipping.

Foot ascenders have somewhat made footlocking obsolete for a career climber, if you want to preserve your body, from what I hear. I never learned, really. I could do it, and have, as needed. Call a Pantin a $60 investment into longevity.

Roger that...Pantin is a great tool. Footlocking can put unusual pressure/strain on joints. Good to know how to do it but my Pantin is much more efficient.

Back