Bailey's security breach Sept 2015-Jan 2016

A lot here do now. In my lifetime it's gone from only government owned liquor stores that sold everything, to private beer and wine stores, to private beer, wine, and liquor stores which we still have. But also now most any ruralish gas station will carry the full assortment too. Seems weird to me that it's going to be in grocery stores now?

Not to derail too much, but this is my girlfriend's house, and the reason why I stay over. If I could get booze easier I might not see her as much
IMG_20160130_150039.jpg

never use debit card for online purchase

debit card shouldnever leave your hand.....

That's Fact! Don't even give your debit card to your wife to use because if the bank finds out you will be responsible for every charge forever, fraud or not. I've worked at a bank for 10 years. I deal with fraud activity everyday. It sucks for everybody. What I can tell you is....you are protected more with a credit card than debit card. However, with either one, if you have given up any information such as card number, name, birthday, etc., to the person or business that is (fraudulently) charging your account you lose. Even if you told them to take out $20 but they took out $25 instead. You have no recourse. It's too bad Baileys had this breach. It happens everyday, and I think it's going to get worse with the new chip cards that are being issued this year.

Interesting, this is all news to me. I use a debit card for everything... oops. I have never had a credit card, maybe I should get one?

Terri, for what it is worth, we have had the chip cards for a couple of years now, and have seen no raise in misuse and fraud.

The newest thing is that you can set the card up so you just wave it at the reader in the store, and it oks payment up to I think $50.

Don't CC cards have a fee?

My debit card costs me zilch...
Those one time fees were imposed by Reagon under the guise of stopping run away spending .In truth it was a shot in the arm for banks who financed third world loans that were defaulted .In was camouflaged to look like something it wasn't and quite frankly a bunch of nonsense .It did what it was designed to do,bolster the banks and screw the man on the street whom the pres. thought was a dumbass .--don't get me started ---

Besides all that with a CC you have their money for about 25 days interest free .With a debit card it's an instant wire transfer .

Butch, not all cc have fees. Mine has no monthly fee and I pay the balance monthly before it's due so there is no interest. Haven't paid for a card in years.

I'm glad to hear the chip cards are working out in other countries. No problems with someone walking past you and scanning your card? That seems to be a big fear here.

That hasn't been a problem here, that I aware off. Don't they have metal wallets to prevent that?

I only keep a minimum amount in my debit account, anywho.

That's what I do too Butch. One completely separate account for the debit card. I transfer money to it if I want to buy something

Jeez, no cash means no moonlighting.

Doing the occasional non-taxed weekend job is what keeps this busines sweet for me.

I went to Spain for some bird watching and Rioja tasting once.
An ATM ate my visa card and I had no cash.
Piss poor vacation, that.

Last year I lost a card in a parking lot payment machine in Basel, Schweiz.

That thing had a call for help option, so I called and sawore a lot.
Eventually a nice young lady showed up and gave the machine a judiciously placed kick that made it regurgitate my card.
Had I not been able to read and speak the local lingo, I would likely have been up the creek.

I ALWAYS carry cash when I travel.

Cash is king!

I've had a chip/pin CC for ages it seems. MasterCard, no fees, no late payment ever so no interest ever paid.

Butch, not all cc have fees. Mine has no monthly fee and I pay the balance monthly before it's due so there is no interest. Haven't paid for a card in years.

We do the same here, Terry....BUT...we have a CC with a 1% rebate...MasterCard is our present 1% for anything we buy. Charge something for $300 and you get a $3 rebate. That check is nice to have it come in. With a CC the trick is to pay it off each month, don't get behind on it.

We also have a Chase card that pays 5% rebate...some quarters it is for gas and restaurants...some quarters it is for travel or hotels.

Right now it is for gas purchases...$2 at the pump only costs me $1.90 after the rebate.

I've got 3 no yearly fee MasterCards, 2 bank Visa cards with a $20 yearly fee and an American Express card that used to be free but went up to $80 a couple of years ago.

They just sent me a nice new upgraded one, yearly fee is about $180 now. Don't think they'll be getting that very often.

I applied for a Diners Club card once years ago and they sent my application back. Times have changed a lot, they send me application forms now.

Man, I thought most of you lived in the U.S. Or Canada. The way you are describing things, it sounds like your living in a third world country.

I have had Debit and credit cards for years. We have had chip and pin for years here and now have contact less payment in some stores. Never have I been done or feared about cloning the cards. Even if you are a victim the bank reimburses you the amount. My missus has 3k taken out of her bank account when she reported it, the money was refunded.

The banks here are so proactive that sometimes when I use my card abroad, I get a call from the bank just to check where I am and to verify that I bought a lunch in a cafe in the French Alps.

Gone are the days when you could go on holiday and report your card stolen the first day and then continue using it till you got home and then look amazed at the amount some cheeky bastard had spent on your card ;)

Back