August Hunicke Videos

I just had no luck with them back in the day....neither the 335 previous. The last 338 I had was only a month old when it had to go back to the store. I never even went back to get it. For guts, the 020av was my fave....heavy compared to todays tophandles, but grunt, wow. Like a mini 090.
I missed out on those older 335/338XPT units. Mine is the NE (new edition). Totally different animal.

I ran 020T/MS200'S since 1995 , the 338XPT NE is a real nice change in power and ergonomics .
One day I'll have to get a 201 or the cold blooded fattened up 540.

A buddy of mine has a modified 338XPT California which is 45 cc in displacement. He claims it out cuts his 346XP which has the same level of modifications.
Husqvarna built the California with the extra 6 cc over the 338 - 39cc to make up for power lost with it's strict EPA design. Take away that design and add a few mods and you got a 7.7 lb banshee screamer in the ergonomic teardrop design.

MS200 35 cc. 7.9.lbs
MS201 35 cc. 8.16.lbs
T540 XP 37cc. 8.6.lbs
338XPT 39cc. 7.7.lbs
338XPT CALIFORNIA 45 cc. 7.7.lbs 20160422_093035-1.jpg

Just a factory bored out 39 cc cylinder Jed, same stroke and crankcase and everything else as what the 39cc model had. Probably lighter with that thinner cylinder wall if that's what Husqvarna did.

If I find one of these California's in new condition, or still may be new inventory somewhere, I'll definitely do the extra modding myself . Great winter project.
I just love the handling of these little teardrop saws.....especially one handed.

here ya go...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/y1fRc8ckr-o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Good video August.
And definitely, a man must know his limitations.
I tell my guys, I won't ask you to do what I won't do myself. And allow them their comfort zones.
:thumbup:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/_VrFV5r8cs0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

hey August,
i've been meaning to reach out to you the last few months since my family and i moved to Gasquet (just on the CA side of the 199). we drive over to Medford to take our little one to the children's museum and i saw your truck in Grants Pass. Anyway i mostly fish commercially (couple yrs ago i bought my own salmon troller and as i cleaned it out realized it had previously belonged to none other than Gerry Beranek) but as i get older and have a family now i want to make tree work my focus. i have been on the path to doing so for a bit over a year but could really use some guidance from someone who has the experience i lack. i have invested quite a bit of money and time over the last 8 yrs or so but struggle immensely with bidding and over complicate climbing at times. my current fishery just got put on another delay and it looks like i am looking at a 30-40 day period before we can go back out, so i figure now would be a good time to ask if you need an extra hand i would be pleased to come drag brush, run ropes, rake, climb, learn how to be a better tree guy. feel free to give me a call or message me if you have any interest in hiring me to work or being a bit of a mentor.
nicolas mccarty
707-496-8733

Very cool Nic, hopefully you can get on with August for a bit. That's a beautiful place you live, I taught my dog to swim in the Smith river.

August: Was it Buckin? Man, he is the cooolest guy despite his extremely stupid positivity religion. All the same... I'd kill to be half an ounce more like him than myself.

That might be the coolest vid you've made yet, for a number of reasons. Never even thought of pushing a chipper into a hole. That was extremely cool. Couldn't even figure out what the air-pressure deal was for, but it just looks awesome.

Unfortunately, I have to play the contrarian in regard to your general advice toward the kid. Now let me say at the forefront that the kid probably did the right thing. For all I know, I would have done the very same thing had I been in his shoes. I didn't really understand his explaination of the situation very well, but it's completely irrelevant, since I never, ever, ever render a judgement about a tree-type situation if I wansn't standing there in person. I've found too many times the hard way, that stuff can be almost impossible to judge, unless you're standing there looking at it yourself, and, even then... it can be hard. So let me re-state that it could well be that the boss was being an ass, and that the kid made the right call; possibly the same one that I would have made had I been there. That bein said...

O.k. this is just degenerating into a regular rant about the general tendancy and ethos of all, and I mean ALL of the new guys who are coming into our shop. (And we have a pretty big shop with a HUGE turnover rate.) August... gentlemen... women and children (Buckin's)... anyone... will someone please help me... will someone please tell me or try to explain to me how in the very short period of a decade or so, all the new young men coming into this trade have simply thrown in the towel, and allowed themselves to degenerate into the hughest pile of wusses conceivable? I'm not kiddnya! These guys are unbelievable... "Hey, there young sir, would you mind doing such and such for me?" Young sir: "Ahhh... ya know I really don't 'feel comfortable' quite yet doin that type of stuff." Foreman: "Ohh, sure, yeah, I understand, actually... I probably shouldn't even have asked ya. Well what about that one over there?" Young sir: "Yeah... I don't know... I just wouldn't really 'feel comefortable' quite yet..." Foreman: "O.k. sure, well, uhhh... you see that rake over there?" Guy after guy, it doesn't seem to change.

I'm not kidding you: it's like an epidemic. And that's the catch-phrase by the way... nobody "feels comfortable." MAN!! I'm ASKING you guys: When in the world did any kind of hard work ever feel anthing like 'comfortable' anyways!!! :X How could cultural mores in the Northwest have changes so very fast in such a short period of time? All of the young guys that I started with were always chomping at the bit to try to get the old hands to let them do something worth doing, but today... it's like the very reverse is the case.

Now please gentlemen... chime in, I beg you: Is this just a bunch of old-man talk, or am I actually onto something here?

hahaha...perfect....here is the embed:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/hLpE1Pa8vvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

August: Was it Buckin? Man, he is the cooolest guy despite his extremely stupid positivity religion. All the same... I'd kill to be half an ounce more like him than myself.

I wouldn't bother saying this to anyone else but you, Jed, but you are worth it. You, just exactly as you are, are by far the coolest you, the coolest Jed there is. For Jed to be more like anyone else but the one, the only, Jed, would just be a waste and foolish and against the universe. It would take away from the gold that is Jed. Buckin may be fun, inspirational, whatev, but he is stuck being Buckin. You are the only one anywhere that is Jed. It would be an insult to Creation to add to Jed something that isn't pure Jed. :drink:

As far as the 'comfortable ', soft aspect goes, I wonder if they are seeing that concept in the incoming military recruits. Seems like it would be antithetical to what the military is looking for.

That was pretty funny. I don't feel that way about myself but I definitely see where it comes from. A lot of dreamers not many doers in my generation. I have met some programmer kids who will definitely be retired by 30. And... I don't see what yoga pants have to do with it, personally I couldn't imagine a world without them:lol:

In regards to the comfort thing. You could call it cowardice or intelligence or idealism? Risking your life for a paltry wage is pure idiocy.

If I get swamped I will take on more help Nic. Thank you for the interest. It's honoring. I am a small operation that seems to put it together a week or two weeks ahead at the most. I am kind of expensive so perhaps that keeps me from scheduling ahead. Of course Willie would disagree with me... he is even more than I am. I love bidding against him. He's more organized and may be able to accommodate better than me or perhaps both of us together could give you some workdays.

Jed, of course it's not Buckin'
He is my age and an old hand at all aspects of putting trees down.
I find worse things in the world than his positivity although I know someone just like him here and I can't hang with it for long up close.
As to the, "I'm not comfortable with it." Mentality of today's stay at home young adults.
I agree, I see it all the time. If they don't deliver, I don't chastise them but I just move on to someone else.
This kid was different though, you can tell by the way he phrased the question. He was genuinely interested in a career. He shows humility and enthusiasm even though he came down. I think if I had been on the ground there or nearby him he would have pulled it off.
I was different. I rose to all occasions and never backed down but I also had a few trips to the hospital. I am glad to count myself with the old-school but I don't necessarily think it is best. I would love to have had a mentor. A patient enthusiastic clever mentor. Someone who wants to teach.

Back