August Hunicke Videos

I'm guilty of wide open notches, even when not necessary. I used to keep the smile to a grin but after I spent time logging, I sort of never went back to tight notches. Sometimes I wish I would. The habit just won't die.

Seems opposite around here. Maybe a westcoast eastcoast thing? Residentially I make much larger pies to keep the stem on the stump as long as possible, and I'm not worried about wastage.

I learned not to use a humboldt cut on spars, unless they're either very tall or heavy....meaning theres enough momentum that they fall and break clean. Ive had several short ones a take little wobble at the end, sometimes unintentionally stall on the stump. Doesnt seem to happen with a conventional cut, as the sloping cut (moving) extends past the horizontal cut (none moving) as the face closes and the hinge breaks. The Humboldt works the other way around, and through my observations appears to need more top weight to break clean and accurate. Ive used humboldts on short logs to purposely close a face without breaking the hinge, both on the ground and up a tree whilst rigging logs. low impact was the goal. The downside of it was that when you then cut throught the hinge the log tends to fall/pull to the side.

My faces/notches were always much less open when logging vs tree work, probably due to cutting more trees, you want to spend less time per tree, smaller nothches=less time spent cutting

Seems opposite around here. Maybe a westcoast eastcoast thing? Residentially I make much larger pies to keep the stem on the stump as long as possible, and I'm not worried about wastage.

That's what I'm saying. My residential notches are wide open.

Cory, when I went to work logging I was told by the boss to cut open face, and he was told by the workmans comp agent. An agent, I might add, that liked to pop up from time to time and inspect stumps, check for ppe, check to make sure you drop the blade on your skidder before you get out to talk to him. Even busted your balls if you hopped down off the bottom step of a skidder. Had to step off with both hands on the handrails beside the skidder door. They say ankle injuries are high from hopping out of heavy machinery.

I like a wide notch doing mostly residential work. When I do somehow end up on a clearing job I tend to experiment with different styles. I'm still trying to figure out how professional fellers do what they do so well.

I learned not to use a humboldt cut on spars, unless they're either very tall or heavy....meaning theres enough momentum that they fall and break clean. Ive had several short ones a take little wobble at the end, sometimes unintentionally stall on the stump. Doesnt seem to happen with a conventional cut, as the sloping cut (moving) extends past the horizontal cut (none moving) as the face closes and the hinge breaks. The Humboldt works the other way around, and through my observations appears to need more top weight to break clean and accurate. Ive used humboldts on short logs to purposely close a face without breaking the hinge, both on the ground and up a tree whilst rigging logs. low impact was the goal. The downside of it was that when you then cut throught the hinge the log tends to fall/pull to the side.

Now that is just plain fascinating Reg. I used to swear that a Humboldt would set a medium-sized tree down on the front lawn a whole lot easier than a conventional, but guys would tell me I was nuts.

Ger: Thanks for the good faith.

Now that is just plain fascinating Reg. I used to swear that a Humboldt would set a medium-sized tree down on the front lawn a whole lot easier than a conventional, but guys would tell me I was nuts.

I was strictly referring to a pole, Jed. Not a tree with limbs on.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Good stuff, I actually unintentionally stopped an 8 foot fir log about 60 feet up, against the Humboldt earlier today. Just working a little fast. One, two, three, slam. One, two, three, slam. Up against a fence tight but 180° of wide-open space, so not worrying much about a wobble to the left or right. And I got one. Nothing a deeper Humboldt or a side snip wouldn't have solved though.
Works to the advantage sometimes like Reg was saying also though, I love stopping long logs 5 feet above the ground and then cutting firewood dirt free all the way back to the stump. I have noticed a tendency with white fir (or grand fir if you're an arborist) barber chair not having the face opened up enough when logging.

I like a wide notch doing mostly residential work. When I do somehow end up on a clearing job I tend to experiment with different styles. I'm still trying to figure out how professional fellers do what they do so well.

Simple answer to that: We do LOTS of it:D

August,
What's the link to your video which you made when you were nearby in Maryland with David Driver and his crew?
I was showing a fellow my X-Ring slings and telling him about it, but couldn't find it with a quick search (though I admit I am pretty tired, and that could be why).

YouTube blocked it in the United States. I have to redo the whole soundtrack now for it to be viewable in the United States unless you watch it on a computer then it should work I think.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/wna1eOP7iyU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wow, that was quite a vid. You upping the video ante each time. I liked the bumper cam going and leaving. The go pros are literally indestructible, eh? Have you sent them a vid, they have an ongoing big-prize-money contest I believe. The insets of you talking were real good, nice effect. I guess I gotta look up proverbs 4.18, now you're even doing subliminal stuff, who knew??And last but not least, cool sound effects. Funny testicle comments and good info re friction hitch usage, too. Who ran your ropes?

I encourage everyone who has a specific question for Jerry that they want answered to private message me. . . Even Jerry, Ha ha ha. No seriously I would love to hear what people want to know.

Butch, I still use blocks when I am pulling trees over but I no longer need them for any lowering that I encounter.

Cory, no they are not indestructible, it's just that I haven't broken one yet. I have sent go pro videos but I have not heard back from them. With regard to subliminal comment. It's not subliminal if you can see it ;-)
Rope man on this job was my climber Joe. He's okay for a rope man but a better climber than rope man.

Back