August Hunicke Videos

Okay Jed, that makes sense.

That reminds me... this unlisted vid, the climber uses a wide notch and flips the piece. I didn't like the decision but it worked out fine.

<iframe width="1280" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/cxBFvE4hlRw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Cory,

1:55 right foot used as added friction.

<iframe width="960" height="720" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/kwaYKLxTWO4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Yeah, I'm not really sure why guys do that. Maybe just to get it butt first for the chipper guy? Flipping tops seems dumb to me just cause of all the variable aerodynamic factors of all the different tops. Seems like no two tops would really flip the same.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
True, except I have seen a perfectly straight hinge (Not tapered at all) on a straight stick with a well placed face cut suddenly go diving to the right or left via character grain in the hinge at the edge.

Bix: I think he means that the power of the holding wood in the stub is so immense compared to the almost negligible top weight that, when the face closes, if you don't have a wide enough opening like August pointed out, or if you don't saw perfectly... there goes the lady's Jap Maple.

My last response… Above this response… Was in response to this post from Jed.

Yeah, I'm not really sure why guys do that. Maybe just to get it butt first for the chipper guy? Flipping tops seems dumb to me just cause of all the variable aerodynamic factors of all the different tops. Seems like no two tops would really flip the same.

I believe that was the idea, to make it easier for me on the ground.

I agree Jed, I don't like that move in that scenario. Ain't worth it.

In a tight spot I won't do it but with room to work with I gotta look out for the groundies. The more they can get cleaned up the less I gotta help with when I get down.

In this, one of my older YouTube videos, at: 48 seconds in, you can see the tree suddenly lurch to the left.
The tree wasn't gunned that far left, it literally dives off the mark. Listen to the sound of the character wood popping when the cuts meet up. I was holding more wood on the left side because of the house on the right side but I held a little too much for a little too long. So it is an example of a not "perfect" back cut like Jerry said. Still, the sudden lurch to the left was more a character grain thing than the result of a fatter hinge which doesn't usually have an element of suddenness to it unless the face cut is faulty, like say if I had a Dutchman on the right side or something. . . Which I didn't. But having said all that. I have seen, what appeared to be perfect face cuts with perfect back cuts on both full length trees and stubs, suddenly go outside the gun area when the cuts meet up. I have never had it happen after snipping the sides though. . .

I will probably need someone to share this link properly.

http://youtu.be/6vZbALlSlRc

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/6vZbALlSlRc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Dang, that butt scared the heck out of me. Looked like it was going to kick into the house, but NO. An inch is as good as a mile. Well done.

I'm sure you know Jed , but I was referring to the tree right before the one you just mentioned. The one that takes a little hop toward the structure went perfectly. Just had a little bit of sweep to the butt.

Nice looking stems, AH. Did those go for lumber?

I'm sure you know Jed , but I was referring to the tree right before the one you just mentioned. The one that takes a little hop toward the structure went perfectly. Just had a little bit of sweep to the butt.

Yeah, I re-watched that and saw exactly what you were talking about, and that was a weird one. From the vid, it looks like the fiber-pull is from the middle of the hinge. Makes me think about Willie's "gut the hinge" theory. :/:

I dunno: someone like me would have a really hard time monitoring the far corner, if I had cut the sapwood. I can never trust my gunning sights because I had to mod my stupid guide-bars (Husqy mounts) to fit on my Stihl. :lol:

Most lurching in stubs of trees occur the moment the face closes and the hingewood breaks or pulls one way or the other. The effect can almost be eliminated just by making a wide enough face that will delay closing and breaking of the hinge until the stub is at least much closer to the ground (the lay).

Narrow face cuts are the most prone to the possible ill effects of the phenomena. Make'm wide, make'm smile. You'll be OK.

I'm guilty of wide open notches, even when not necessary. I used to keep the smile to a grin but after I spent time logging, I sort of never went back to tight notches. Sometimes I wish I would. The habit just won't die.

All my smashed rhododendron /sidewalks were with a stupid narrow humboldt, cause I'm a wanna-be logger. :|:

Back