ARS Pole Pruners and other Ornamental Equipment.

Thanks Rancher... You mention the ARS pole saws, or extension poles... What about the squeeze handle pruners?

I have a set of those too. They keep improving them, which is one thing I really like about the company. They take suggestions too! Mine are kind of like the 180ZR-2.0-3
http://www.ars-edge.co.jp/world/02products/product_04longpru.html

They're telescopic. Mine go up to about 7' or so. They're very nice. Very sharp. Strong mechinism. I've never broken them and I've cut some pretty good size branches where I had to squeeze the trigger real hard. I know that they have re-engineered the mechanism to make it stronger over the years...

I've had the ARS 6-10' extension pruner for about 3 years. It's great! The cut & hold version allows you to snip and pull the branch away. The best thing I've found for pulling out those long blackberry suckers that get intertwined in everything.

It's made for picking fruit, so the cut is only 1/4". You can remove the "grabbers" with four screws and now have up to a 1/2" cut. It's not meant to cut dry hardwood or stuff bigger than that size, so if you do that, it could be hard on it.

The head had 3 different angle settings, which helps alot. One of the best tools I own.

IMO Felco secateurs are the only way to go for your personal use. Felco 2.

Felco 2 = 200t for hand pruning!

I've been in the horticulture biz, 26yrs all up and only ever had 3 pairs, the first ones I lost after about 10 years, I have one pair here in Bermuda and one in Tassie.
The balance is perfect, they sharpen well, the blade is replacable, nothing breaks. The only down is the red plastic on the handles on my pair here has come off, but it would be no problem to get some shrink tube and replace it.

I too have the pouch on my saw scabbard (the Weaver leather one) great for climbing a prune job.

If you were getting secateurs for others, I wouldn't hesitate with the Corona ones. I bought a dozen for apperentices and they are just fine. If they continued in the biz, then an investment in Felco's is their choice. They are not cheap, but then neither is a 200t!

Back