ARS Pole Pruners and other Ornamental Equipment.

bonner1040

Nick from Ohio
So after thinking about some of what was said in other threads and seeing a different kind of customer at work I am going to broaden my side work towards ornamental pruning. Normally I do takedowns and felling but debris removal is a problem. I figure if I can sell some ornamental pruning I can remove the debris with my pickup no problem.

The hurdle is I dont have any pruning equipment. I have a polesaw (one of the fiberglass telescoping which broke, I will update that thread) and thats pretty much it.

I am going to buy a standard pruner head but was considering one of the ARS pruners with the squeeze handle.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=214&item=1354
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=214&item=1353

I know Brian mentioned having one that broke but have any of you other guys used these tools?

I read the Fiskars Pruner thread by NickfromWI, considering that as well but I like the looks of the ARS ones better.

I also need a set of hand snips/bypass pruners... Any suggestions?

I can't help regarding the model you are asking about. Personally, I've always been pleased with a good old fashioned Fred Marvin head on a wood pole.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Regarding?

I have no issue with the old style, they certainly get the job done. I just like the idea of a the handle on the bottom.
i dont own an old style and wouldnt expect that the ARS deal would replace it at all, the capacity is to little I believe.

I would likely get both with the classic style for using on shade trees and clearance work while using the ARS for shapping small Dogwoods, jap maples, cherries, magnolias, and other little miniature trees.

My bad. I read your post wrong. I thought you were asking about a pole pruner with a squeeze handle.

As far as hand pruners go, I swear by Felco tools. Really well made. One pair should last your whole career, with a blade change in there somewhere. I've used corona, and another brand or so. None ever let me down. I just found the felcos to be a pleasure to use and professional grade.

Ok. I'm retarded.

Moving on. What I meant is that I had no insight regarding that type of pruner. No experience with them. I do, however own about 4 Marvin heads on assorted pole styles. I even have a head that bolts onto a square pole. Odd, but so am I. So, all I could offer was a suggestion toward the Fred marvins, in the event that you opted not to buy the squeeze handle type.

I have a 5 or 6' version of the ARS squeeze handle one. I love it. I use it on those little trees. There are days when we will spend all day using hand pruners and those little squeeze handle things and just barely fill up my tiny ford ranger with non-chipped branches, but still earn $500-$800 for the day (2 guys working).

See if you can roll half the price into the next side job you bid. If so, go for it. It's a good tool and can put up with a lot. All the inner workings are metal- so strings like the Fiskars.

love
nick

Yes, I did use one of those once. It's pretty strong. I don't remember being in love with it though. Hard to say, it was awhile ago.

Looking back, it seems you might buy both?

I figure a standard marvin head (or alternatively one of the compound corona heads) is standard equipment, I have needed one for a while so I will definitely get one. The consideration is whether the ARS pole is justified as an additional specialized piece of equipment.

Nick.....

This .. and a couple more pole (I have two four footers from the big shot)

saw2314-500.gif

Mondo Pruner set

And this......

bag213-500.gif

6' Pole transport bag

You will not be sorry...

I would definitely stick with attachments that all interchange on the same poles if possible. Otherwise they tend to become too burdensome to carry around all the time and get left at home, where you can't use them. One set of poles plus a saw head and pruner head. I also have one of those wire hooks which is indispensable, I use it for lifting service wires for bucket access as well as loaning it to the ground crew for fishing limbs or palm fronds out of water, tall shrubbery, etc.

Yeah.. I just reread your reccomendation updating the thread on the expanding pole. I should have followed your advice then.

I have the phoenix head with the biner hole and the same scabbard... That is a nice setup.

You like the compound pulley head? Is it noticeably heavier? Is the cutting action easier on large limbs?

I think I will likely end up with a core set like that though, thanks for the recommendation.

Love the pruner Nick and it is nice to have the ability to cut the larger branches with it. Yes it is heavy. But it makes up for it with the ease of cutting. The compound head is nice. The corona is pretty bullet proof. As far as mechanical trigger type heads, my personal experience is, the more mechanical you make the devise (more moving parts etc. ) the easier they break and more frequent they do. KISS. You can replace anything in that system I posted individually.. Easy fixins.

I've got the ARS telescoping and it's sweet. Orchard ladder + those = cakefest. I have that compound corona head and while I like it, it's heavy. I wouldn't want to spend the day running around with it.

Oh... and hand pruners... Corona bypass. Only thing I will use.. Bullet proof and have a sheath for it. I also have a scabbard that will fit it and my silky in a tree. Keep it sharp with a flat file (like the raker files I have in the truck already) and it will never let you down and give you sweet cuts.
s8YyvSCkRB0bfonklDcSn8o0GluzZZ2ugYhP8Nie2iYBJD-DqYRRvwE592_NbUuQdEUJ6xa75zv43OqP6gVKzXkisPnJ8gf_hnVf6nXJQE-j58Nd3esIZwrvrwnwCUunSHeOeTCg0U_pVzw-cUoOYebg80-l9QIc7WfFMwtN7QxUUHCg7g2Xilrl2ZMUpgbjLBkx2iGl-RUW-yGinc-tE8YrBj1YH4DRkHjdCowBUAQkdXFGgwN-DTgRtSGvIHOE0hR6CGrfKHIVuA37-J0HYkKojO7L5KwkLjSpVvW0hQg

Oh... and hand pruners... Corona bypass. Only thing I will use.. Bullet proof and have a sheath for it. I also have a scabbard that will fit it and my silky in a tree. Keep it sharp with a flat file (like the raker files I have in the truck already) and it will never let you down and give you sweet cuts.

Thanks I was looking at those.

I used the Coronas for years but the new ones aren't like the old ones. Everything is cheap pot metal made in China. Home Depot doesn't even carry them any more but I recently picked up a higher end pair of Felco hand pruners which are working out well.

s8YyvSCkRB0bfonklDcSn8o0GluzZZ2ugYhP8Nie2iYBJD-DqYRRvwE592_NbUuQdEUJ6xa75zv43OqP6gVKzXkisPnJ8gf_hnVf6nXJQE-j58Nd3esIZwrvrwnwCUunSHeOeTCg0U_pVzw-cUoOYebg80-l9QIc7WfFMwtN7QxUUHCg7g2Xilrl2ZMUpgbjLBkx2iGl-RUW-yGinc-tE8YrBj1YH4DRkHjdCowBUAQkdXFGgwN-DTgRtSGvIHOE0hR6CGrfKHIVuA37-J0HYkKojO7L5KwkLjSpVvW0hQg

Felco > Corona by a long shot

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xktlqs
love
nick

I think it's safe to say it can handle half inch without issues. It's definitely not like having your hand pruner on a stick. It's well made but delicate with the pivoting head. I can take some closeup pics of it tomorrow if you want. It's kind of an interesting setup.. it's linkage is sort of like a steel ribbon (if i remember right)

I think it's safe to say it can handle half inch without issues. It's definitely not like having your hand pruner on a stick. It's well made but delicate with the pivoting head. I can take some closeup pics of it tomorrow if you want. It's kind of an interesting setup.. it's linkage is sort of like a steel ribbon (if i remember right)

I've had issues over the 10 years I've owned the telescoping ARS pruners. Admittedly, 10 years of use is pretty good, but the knob that locks the pivoting head in place failed after the first year. It's been replaced twice and just recently the collar holding the head in place has failed. Probably plastic fatigue. I'd be happier if it were more metal and less plastic, but the telescoping mechanism works just fine even after all this time.

So after thinking about some of what was said in other threads and seeing a different kind of customer at work I am going to broaden my side work towards ornamental pruning. Normally I do takedowns and felling but debris removal is a problem. I figure if I can sell some ornamental pruning I can remove the debris with my pickup no problem.

The hurdle is I dont have any pruning equipment. I have a polesaw (one of the fiberglass telescoping which broke, I will update that thread) and thats pretty much it.

I am going to buy a standard pruner head but was considering one of the ARS pruners with the squeeze handle.

https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=214&item=1354
https://www.treestuff.com/store/catalog.asp?category_id=214&item=1353

I know Brian mentioned having one that broke but have any of you other guys used these tools?

I read the Fiskars Pruner thread by NickfromWI, considering that as well but I like the looks of the ARS ones better.

I also need a set of hand snips/bypass pruners... Any suggestions?

The ARS hand pruners are the best in my opinion. I have a pair of Felco's (same price basically) and they just collect dust. The ARS have a little better rockwell hardness and they release the pruned branches better too. Keep them cleaned and oiled. I use a Felco leather belt pouch for the ARS pruners :) I like their leather pouch!

I have the V7-Z, I think. Mine are the Stihl rebranded ARS with the black handles. I got them at
my local saw shop. http://www.ars-edge.co.jp/world/02products/product_05pruningshears.html

I've made thousands of cuts with them and only done a mild/quick sharpening on them twice.

For manual extension pole pruners. I have and recommend the ARS EXP 55/UV-47; replacement parts are easy to get for any ARS product via mailorder. Some Stihl dealers can also order replacement parts, if they carry ARS.

http://growtech.com/Extension_Poles_Overview.html
http://www.ars-edge.co.jp/world/02products/product_03polesaw.html

Back