Are you in your PRIME?

No boat building lately, mold is still in Bermuda...Bob's doing well thanks, we worked a job all day yesterday, he cut and piled all the brush and cut and loaded a truckful of firewood from the branch wood too. Have to keep an eye on him, make sure he isn't overdoing it...as long as its cool, he's ok.

Off to the Dr.'s today for a checkup and to tell the Cardiac rehab programme people we think we are doing ok with his exercise regime! Recoup day 8)

As a faller ; my prime was when I could hold my 394 with a 36" bar and chain, in my right hand by the grip and reach out and start a boring cut. On purpose. Without straining.

Good stuff, CL, but I'd have to see that to believe it! Not saying you couldnt do it, but if you could, you must me gorilla strong.

Im very hopeful. If my tree skills can blossom some more while my body is still revved up, I'll make some serious work happen.

Im very hopeful. If my tree skills can blossom some more while my body is still revved up, I'll make some serious work happen.

And you will, no doubt. I can't really think of anything useful that I wasn't significantly better at doing at 35 than at 30.

I was reading up in Ibuprofen, since I have never taken it. It says that it is milder and the effects are shorter lived than taking aspirin. Do you guys find that? i was thinking to try and get some. :lol:

Don't know, really...been taking it off and on (more on than off, truth to tell) for a couple of decades...my digestive system seems to accomodate it very well, and not everyone's does (just like aspirin, Butch). I do think it takes a few days being on it regularly for the anti-inflamatory effects to take hold, though the pain relief action kicks in within an hour or so, for me.

If you decide to try it, read up on dosage. Lots of variability in recommendations. Pigwot/Patrick would be a great resource if you had questions. He's a RN and has been helpful to me in answering questions of this nature in the past.

I'm just happy at my age that I can still keep up with some of the young ones and sometimes run them a tad ragged in these hills :)
Almost 53 now and still climbing trees like when I was a kid. Just with some extra safety in play and more caution :)
Yeah, it hurts a tad more in the joints... but hey.....
I feel like that if I were not an asthmatic, I would be hard to keep down.

Good stuff, CL, but I'd have to see that to believe it! Not saying you couldnt do it, but if you could, you must me gorilla strong.

Sure can't do it anymore. And when I could was sorta pre www.
I've worked with a lot of guys that were stronger than I was.
Bushlin on steep ground necessitated some extreme actions. That's how I got so I could do that move.
I know one guy and know of at least 1 more that could take their 2100 wit a 36-42" bar, flip it around side ways and reach around a big spruce and start their falling cuts. I could never do that with my 2100 s. I could almost do it with an 064 32" .

As a faller ; my prime was when I could hold my 394 with a 36" bar and chain, in my right hand by the grip and reach out and start a boring cut. On purpose. Without straining. . I used to Never loose hand shake's. Could hand over hand climb 25' up a 1" chocker with White Ox gloves on. I could load full 55 gal drums of gas or bar oil in the back of a 3/4 ton crummy just by rolling them onto my knee, picking them up and giving them a belly bump. At quitting time I could walk 1500' up out of a v notch none stop all week long after burning 2 1/2 gallons of gas thru an 064 or 288 . That was 20 years ago. However. I've injured most parts of my body quite a bit and I no longer live in the mountains. I always had strong muscles, but my tendons and ligaments were more fragile. Lots of back and hip injuries.
For climbing in my 20 s I could belt and spurs 80' one way in 30 seconds on boomstick size timber. Not anymore. I still outwork the 20 year olds easy and still keep a bushlin saw busy for 6-6.5 hours a day. But it really is hard getting out of bed in the morning. .
I would love to go back to bushlin. But I don't know if I could keep up. I'm pretty scared of the saying " This ain't a school for the young or a home for the old. "

With all due respect, that sounds like pure bullshit.

With all due respect,
that sounds like pure bullshit.

See, this is where your youth would get your ass beat till you couldn't stand alone. .
Do you even have any idea what it's at all like to fall timber or tower log in a mountaous rain forest. . Have you ever lived in a loggin camp that is running 5-10 sides. .
Do you realize that you just called me a liar. All you have done is run your mouth out of ignorance. .

I read somewhere that Bruce Lee could hold a 75 lb dumbell straight out in front of him.

I've cut with a bunch of guy that had their prime in the days of the bigger direct drive saws like the 071/075 . Jred 111 . Big McColloghs. Most of them were 140-180 lb men. . All bushlers. They got to be so strong that those saws didn't feel any heavier than a 660 Stihl or 390 Husky does to guys now. . .
Thing is, I was always just a little above average for strength and ability amongst my peers. . But my peers were all timber beasts..

. I've always more than enjoyed seeing people that had great ability to do physical tasks. . Like watching Mel Lentz chop or Guy German speed climb.
Its not just timber beasts. .
I can watch a good rock climber all day. Some of the moves they can do and the strength they have is just short of unbelievable
I'm almost in awe of some people on this forum that can run around up in a tree like I never could even hope to. .

Relax fella. It sounds like BS. No worries. Whether or not I take your stories of your youth to heart doesn't make the least bit of difference, for either of us. I said it respectfully. Im not going to buy everything people sell me on the net. Likewise, folks aren't going to buy everything I tell them. Life goes on. We can still have a good time.

That people can do feats of physical prowess that they end up paying for later, doesn't impress me at all, myself included. :|:

I thought the 12 pound sledge test was hard, hold it at the bottom and tip it back to touch your nose. I've done it but man it you slip up your in for a hurtn

Back