Anyone notice that new saws suck?

Sure, I hate the new saws.
I hate the fact that they hardly vibrate at all and that the airfilter keeps clean for the longest time, even when I log full time.
I hate the fact that my new 441C will start equally well hot and cold, and I don't have to fiddle with throttle lock, just set choke, start and go.
I hate it that the new scavenge engines run so clean that when you use alkylate fuel, you can't smell the saw at all.

Sure they suck!

I have an old Disston hanging in the barn, think I'll bring that to work tomorrow instead of these modern horrors:lol:

I had misleading info from Cut4Fun's site, post #35 on the T540 Demo thread.......I found later those Quotes were from 2 Canadian Tree Buzz members who ordered theirs from the UK [Honey Brothers]
http://chainsawrepair.createaforum.com/husqvarna/husqva

So honey bros is in the UK. That is good to know. I was starting to think WTH no US saws but were in the north.

There is a dealer on my site with a updated 540 and he had a early test mule 540. He stated the newer one felt stronger in the cuts. Guess that is a good thing.

:lol:

I just hear this a lot, that saws were better before ( Before what exactly) while I'll readily agree that environmental issues have taken the top of the power, they are just so much nicer to run today IMO.

Just like when I'm running my wonderfully smooth, powerful BMW bike with heated handlebars, I don't miss the 1938 Nimbus motorcycle of my youth that used to shake my teeth out and freeze my fingers off.

I'm still waiting for fuel injection on our saws:)
I'm always an optomist and always look towards the future. There will always be something to rave or bitch about.

Page, what you describe definitely seems like an air leak problem, as has already been mentioned. I think I have experienced about every type of chainsaw air leak known to man, and they can take different forms. Some. like you say, you think the saw is running good, then suddenly..... Offhand it doesn't seem too difficult to sort out, but small cracks can be deceiving, like in the intake boot or a bad gasket, or maybe a crankcase pressure test will help to pinpoint. Sometimes if it is around the carb like in the boot, pushing on and flexing the saw can cause the crack to spread and initiate the problem. That seems easier to do on smaller saws where the av parts are more connected to or closer to the areas where the leak may be occurring.
yeah I see it happening when the saw is getting pushed or flexed, and it's hot. didn't do it at all today, thing ran like a champ through 7 silver maple removals.

I'm still waiting on a laser to go right through the wood. No chains gas or anything.

What is your favorite model saw, Randy?

I don't know.......it changes. Of course I ain't out there using one day in and day out either.

I'm a big fan of the 372XP though.....

I'm still waiting on a laser to go right through the wood. No chains gas or anything.

When I was framing I wished for a chalk box that cut when the line was snapped........that would be too freakin cool.

that would of course be awesome...so easy to accidently cut the tree in half, also awesome

I got cha HT I read that on chainsaw repair. I think the 540 is a myth, I am bitter, but glad I bought a 200 just before they became extinct.
Depending how a 200 is taken care of....... 5 yrs or more can be expected for its lifespan if used for a couple hrs a day

I care for and feed my saws well regular cleaning and tuning, but it shares it's work with other saws 334, 338.

With an electric starter saw, they will probably want to make it illegal to run after drinking. At least with the current ones, you have to be sober enough to be able to pull on the starter rope. Keep them out of the hands of pissed off wives or girlfriends too. :O

I just hear this a lot, that saws were better before ( Before what exactly) while I'll readily agree that environmental issues have taken the top of the power, they are just so much nicer to run today IMO.

Just like when I'm running my wonderfully smooth, powerful BMW bike with heated handlebars, I don't miss the 1938 Nimbus motorcycle of my youth that used to shake my teeth out and freeze my fingers off.

( Before what exactly)

Before they went plastic? It was fun dragging those things around wasn't it and they always started on a stinking hot day. Same with bikes only mine hated being kick started, especially in cold weather.

Yep all this new stuff is nothing like "the good old days", but of course there are a few exceptions.

I take an old saw out now and then just for fun, then it goes back on the shelf.

I think that there were some great old saws that didn't need improving upon. I like the ones that can sit on the shelf for over a year with the same old gas in them, sometimes considerably longer, and still start up and run perfectly after six or seven pulls. That happened today with a relic 028 super that i rescued from the dump a few years ago. I would take it over the MS280 any day, given that the old model has slightly more displacement and more weight. Simple to work on, and extremely reliable and durable. Take out the cylinder base gasket and it gets raucous and even more eager to cut..

Back