Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

I ended up making a pulley out of stainless, none of the pulleys I had would work. Turns out length is pretty critical. To short and the rope gets stuck between pulley and bridge ring , to long and it hits the HH body before the carabiner slides up the groove to release. Tried it out, it works better for sure, but still no RW in the tending department. Guess the next step is buy some Vortex. IMGP0017.jpg

....Tried it out, it works better for sure, but still no RW in the tending department. Guess the next step is buy some Vortex.

Haha! Funny that, but you actually did hit upon a truth. Even though these setups are for a non-moving rope system, the components themselves move, interact and each and every component will make a difference. Mine works perfectly, exactly as shown, for my weight and climbing style. Just like everything else in this business, details have to fit the job at hand.

PS. Nice job on the pulley!

....Tried it out, it works better for sure, but still no RW ....

Just a thought. Make sure both the hitch and the HH are fully releasing. With the pulley to smoothly redirect tailing force that is really the only thing left. Look at how your hitch knots are tied compared to mine. Might be nothing but, sometimes it is the little things.

"the components themselves move, interact and each and every component will make a difference"
"sometimes it is the little things"

I'm sure learning these lessons since starting SRT 2 years ago. Even with all the added equipment set up correctly for SRT, sometimes a suttle movement or technique you my not even be aware you are doing ( or not doing ! ) that you picked up along the way makes all the difference. Guess that's called experience. Thanks for all your help !

My HH had some rough areas and tool marks on the top of the body were the hitch cord contacts. I did a quick ,sand smooth, bevel and polish What I would call the transition area were the hitch cord slides down as you pull the rope from below when slack tending. Used it for several hours today and noticed a big improvement when taking up slack.

IMGP0019.jpg

It was so much simpler, not to say better :), back in the day when we quibbled about how many wraps to put on our VT hitches :D.

Gosh, that wasn't that long ago, I was on a taught line till 2001 when I learned the Blakes with a split tail and a micro pulley. That was revolutionary. Then in 2003 or so I learned the swabish using tenex and a ring to ring cambium saver. i think it was 2005 or 2006 when the VT came into my arsenal.

Boy, that is the truth, Burnham, and not that long ago either as Kevin said. Fine-tuning consisted of making sure your hitch held and maybe loosening it a bit before a big swing or fast descent.

Much simpler then but much, much better now.

HH hitch not working the way you want. Put a twist or two in the legs and then tape the tails together. I keep a role of electrical tape on my caritool, makes a good bump stop for climbing saw and I like to tape stuff.

IMGP0021.jpg

I haven't climbed on a HH2 or a RW zk2 with a proper tether. I have a hard time arguing with seamless transition from DdRT to SRT, and less stuff in my face, with the HHs. I have a poor, stiff tether that I need to improve for my RWzk1.

Am I missing out?

Tether tips?

Gosh, that wasn't that long ago, I was on a taught line till 2001 when I learned the Blakes with a split tail and a micro pulley. That was revolutionary. Then in 2003 or so I learned the swabish using tenex and a ring to ring cambium saver. i think it was 2005 or 2006 when the VT came into my arsenal.

Pretty much the same as me Kev! I remember the day Reg taught me his knot tended with a pulley. No more hip thrust blakes hitch!
BTW I have fixed my drag problem on my RW. Boiling water and soap, loads of crap came out, then some olive oil. Also messed with my tether, I had it on so the RW was to the side.... now it faces me and all inline. So much smoother, and thinner cord which helps :)

Thanks All, finally got the HH dialed in With all the tinkering and finding the right rope/hitch combo. Slack tends like a dream now even without the pulley (thank god).I Guess the rope wrench is getting reassigned to rigging wrench. Although theres still something about the RW, kind of like driving a classic car. Maybe ill just have to get another one for the Rigin Wr.

Got bored , made an even shorter 6" tether with a quick attach for the RW. I used it for half the day on a small removal and it worked great. think I'll try 5". Sure makes a world of dif from the 12" tether I started out with. Might get this thing down to HH size (subcompact RW!).
IMGP0028.jpg IMGP0029.jpg

I'm probably not going to buy a ZK2, at the moment, as the ZK1 works fine. What kind of proper tether should I buy? A stick taped to the tether works okay, but its not as high performance.

Is there a commercially made tether for the HH1 that helps to keep it oriented? My homemade tech cord does okay, but again, not as high performance as a more purpose built one.

I can't get into the RW, great item, use it for rec climbs, but I just love the HH for work.

Edit: the leather and webbing tending strap I made is still going strong.

How does that quick attach work?
Just a little shackle and pin I made out of SS. Fits in the top hole of the HC pulley nice and snug. The hitchcord knot pushes against a washer I welded to the pin and holds it together for now. just used some hitch cord and taped it up for a tether.
IMGP0030.jpg

I'm probably not going to buy a ZK2, at the moment, as the ZK1 works fine. What kind of proper tether should I buy? A stick taped to the tether works okay, but its not as high performance.

Is there a commercially made tether for the HH1 that helps to keep it oriented? My homemade tech cord does okay, but again, not as high performance as a more purpose built one.

I would make your own tether, or I guess you could have treestuff custom make one. Make it as short as you can get by with. The longer the tether the harder it is to make it stiff enough also just gets in the way.

I can't get into the RW, great item, use it for rec climbs, but I just love the HH for work.

Edit: the leather and webbing tending strap I made is still going strong.

I'm with you on the HH. But the only advantage the HH has over the RW is size, RW pretty much kicks ass in all other department Imho.

Back