Any Rope Wrench or Hitch Hiker users here?

Sgriff...early days but I have about 4hrs on the new combo, enough time for it all to stretch and settle, so far the tending and hitch 'catching' remains really good. Coming down from a reasonable height requires a bit more attention to the hitch, it can get a wee bit tight on the way down.

If I notice anything different, I'll post it.
The tending difference is noticeably better, no need for my bent gate carabiner at the bottom any more (where some people put a pulley)

Nioce,i only have some of the blue 9/10mm laying around,im going to try it out. I like the idea of the 8mm slipping through the dogbone alot easier.deff gonna pick some up👍

As a matter of habit and personal preference, I use 3/8 hitch cord on 1/2 climb line, and 5/16 hitch cord on 7/16 climb line. Just feels right for some reason.

Since I usually only climb on a 120' rope (tying on another if necessary, and using the wraptor line), its easy to have the groundie or myself simply advance the HH along the rope to the right place for the next tree. I think I took mine off a month ago. Maybe time for a new piece of cord, or to flip it around with new knots. I'm sure the smaller diameter is easier to thread.

How often do you all take off your hitch?

I was thinking of tightening mine up today.

I take mine off regularly for the obvious reasons,usually because im switching anchor types. I prefer having it canopy anchored with my friction saver,cause i can have mad redirects and can still pull it right out,so it's easiest for me to just pop the hh off and add a retrieval ball to snag my fs.
Depending on the tree and my anchor method, sometimes i go about it differently and leave it on but it seems easiest for me as described above

Pretty regular. I switch my climb lines out a lot depending the trees I climb. I have multiple lenghts of climb lines. They range from 40 foot to 200 foot. Often on the same property, I will have 40 foot tall oaks to prune or td as well as 150 foot pines to deal with.

I climb usually twice a week, on my 150ft vortex I'll take the HH off regularly, on my 120ft cherry bomb, I have a second HH which might stay on, but it's not a habit. Had to come off this last time, had a very pitchy spruce TD. I usually change up my ropes, vortex is pretty expensive up here, cherry bomb is not, but is a lesser but not a bad rope IMHO.

....How often do you all take off your hitch?....

I take mine off between each tree, always. Even with my pulley setup it is easy and fast. Other than setting the hitch, by working it hard a couple of times before my next climb, I do not need to mess with knot adjustment. I just tie it the same way as I had it and it works fine.

The recommendation of using only a certain size smaller hitch cord in relation to your climbing line does not always work out for the best with some of our new cordage. Keep it low, but don't be afraid to experiment some. You might stumble onto something that works great for the way you climb.

Probably, the knot sets harder over time/ use. If I untied it all the time, it would come free, more easily. I took it off today. didn't get the tension any better the second time, but still works.

My new to me MCRS has a ring that doesn't work with my pulley. I've been climbing without. Its nice to have. Not a big deal without.

What pulleys are people liking with their HHs?

I'm still on a HH not a HH2, by the way.

Going through a crotch today, I was a bit of loading the body of the HH, sideways. I was happy that its so beefy. That type of thing makes me leary of jointed devices.

"Going through a crotch today, I was a bit of loading the body of the HH, sideways. I was happy that its so beefy. That type of thing makes me leary of jointed devices."

This is why I can't bring myself to use fully mechanical devices. A knot has flex to it. Steel and aluminum do not.

The RW isn't life support.

The HH looks hella hard to break across a limb.

Uni, RR give me a concern for this occurrence which should be avoided, but sometimes might be unavoidable.

Hoping the Akimbo is beefier than lighter.

I just go ahead and let the RW smash and press all up on branches and crotches,it can be a bit tricky coming up over a branch or dropping down and around one,i just press through and don't worry. I do inspect for damage,which there is none yet,but i just don't really see other options sometimes and there's no point in frettin over it imo,i am a light sob though.

With rw going over a limb on ascent lots of pressure.... I step up and on pantin to take pressure off and go around.

I rw a lot....every day....that with a chest strap and pantin and you can hammer.

The new hh2 looks awesome. I have the hh1 but after a few attempts and the hitch line tightening and cinching...I put it aside.....I don't have much patience. I have it to keep a few complete set ups for gear less climbers.

I have and use the hh2 also,it doesn't tend as readily as the RW,but it grabs %100 of the time vs the vt i use with my wrench...

"Going through a crotch today, I was a bit of loading the body of the HH, sideways. I was happy that its so beefy. That type of thing makes me leary of jointed devices."

This is why I can't bring myself to use fully mechanical devices. A knot has flex to it. Steel and aluminum do not.

My feelings as well.

I have and use the hh2 also,it doesn't tend as readily as the RW,but it grabs %100 of the time vs the vt i use with my wrench...

The RW uses a pulley in its setup. Without a pulley the HH can tend slack very well but can't quite match the smoothness of the RW. However, add a pulley to the HH and it will not only match the smoothness of the RW it can surpass it.

That is of course assuming you have your rope/hitch combination tuned as it should be.

20150409_100204(1).jpg

You ever try using the hh knot on the wrench instead of a traditional VT? Worked a charm for me.

:lol::lol::lol: You're the man. That was hilarious.

I've got half a mind to smash the silly device (rope wrench) that Sean Ruel gave me just to show loyalty to a far superior mechanism.

Back