Any interest in the new Stihl MS150

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I've not done anything to a 192 aside from muffler and timing work. The 200T and the 201T I've done plenty of though.

Hell yeah! I'm still thinking a small saw in the truck toolbox wouldn't be half bad some times.
The 192t is a BEAR to work on in that way! Muffler mod it, change the timing if you want, but porting that thing, meh!

I gotta show you guys this 200T I did for a customer in Arab, Alabama. He had it at a GTG in KY last weekend showing it around. It's been a while since I did it, and he swears he's put a couple hundred tanks thru it since. I've got two more here of his right now.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/LCKmcItcFdw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited by a moderator:
I just love the ms 150, its my go 2 saw for prunes and smaller TD's

Removed the left side of this Euc with it, worked like a charm.

High up in a live oak with the "one five zero"

That was good cutting technique in the vid, nice!

Thanks. Just curious, you don't feel that lightening pistons or opening up the windows on the ones that have them, provides much of a plus?

Yeah Randy, what's the skinny on a full mod on a 200T? My day to day is running perfect, but since I have one on the shelf I may punch it out.

Yea I've been interested in the 150t, what are you going to do to it?

Thanks. Just curious, you don't feel that lightening pistons or opening up the windows on the ones that have them, provides much of a plus?

I'm more concerned with durability than getting every little bit out of the saw. I've seen pistons crack from too much material removal.

Also, over the last few years I've been able to figure out that getting the compression and port timing just right net better gains than some of the things we were doing in the past.

what do you charge to mod a 200 ??

Yeah Randy, what's the skinny on a full mod on a 200T? My day to day is running perfect, but since I have one on the shelf I may punch it out.

I'm interested as well. our daily 200 runs good, but might mod my back up, as well as 2 or 3 we have on the shelf.

We get 200.00 for the 200T, plus around 25.00 return shipping. They must be in good running condition, with a good carb.

We can repair them as well, but of course that adds the price of parts....

Yea I've been interested in the 150t, what are you going to do to it?

We plan to start with a bone stock saw, make a video for a baseline. Then do a muffler mod, and video the results. Then ignition timing tweaks......videoing each step in the same wood (probably a poplar 8x8 ). After that I plan to tear it down to see if there is a way to make good solid gains without making the engine peaky.

Just as a comment what makes the 200T /020T a hot rod is the huge transfer size in relationship to cylinder bore size .What makes them a beech to work on is they are tiny .

The following pics show a cut base 200T cylinder in relationship to an 034 cylinder .Also note the tiny little piston which has been cut with a raised dome which is only one of many methods used .

As a general rule a stock 200T will make two cuts in poplar 8" cants in around 15 seconds .Modified and done correctly that becomes around 11 seconds give or take .

Attachments

• 200 cylinder 009.jpg
    200 cylinder 009.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 76
  • 200 cylinder 007.jpg
    200 cylinder 007.jpg
    54.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 200 cylinder 003.jpg
    200 cylinder 003.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 75
Nice lathe Al.......

Is that the one you were talking about on SawHawgz?

What you are saying about transfer size might well be what makes those little buggers turn on the way they do. What's strange is how opening up the transfers on some other saw engines just kills them. I'm thinking about the 346XP and the 372XP, but I'm sure there are many other examples.

Same one except it was running fine when those pictures were taken .As it will again when I get the new drive controller installed .:D

I think on the transfer thing many people get the idea that bigger is better which is not always so .As far that 200T in all honesty I wouldn't know what to do with them anyway so I just leave them alone .

. What's strange is how opening up the transfers on some other saw engines just kills them. I'm thinking about the 346XP and the 372XP, but I'm sure there are many other examples.

What I know about Husqvarna would fill a shotglass if all the info would fill the Atlantic ocean .I've never done any port work on one and have only been into maybe half a dozen .I did notice however the few I was into had double tunnel transfers which for high speed performance should be better suited than Stihls' single tunnel .

Back