Alpine straight jacket

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Took detour to ancient bristlecone forest.....tons of pics, worthy of own thread. Methuselah grove, 4700 years old
image.jpg

Ya, that's the ticket. I understand the concept, it's the execution I wonder at.

Next mission, car to car epic on bear creek spire/ 13,780'
Left car 3:30...... 8 miles in, climbed northwest arête. Line going up middle between to two large patches of snow. Back at car at 3..... Yup it rained on way out. Perfect to start tough

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Ya, that's the ticket. I understand the concept, it's the execution I wonder at.

Place bag on ground.....shit in bag.....add lime.....roll up and hide in your partners pack

Tried to steal by jerky.......guess again, were from nc not LA. You ain't gettin my jerky

image.jpg

Spent next day eating. Lost 8 lbs out there. Climbed in pine creek another day then back to reno........

Got home to find out wife had cat scan and concussion from being knocked flat from dog.

TSA took my micro leather man.....bastards. Tried to take my jerky too.....I started to eat all of it right there......then they said go. They left a little note in my bag saying they inspected it......I pity that guy cus it was my soiled clothes bags.

I'll be back. Two friends leave in a couple of weeks to try it. I hope they have better weather......

I really want to complete the darwin traverse / evolution traverse .......but I didn't want to win Darwin Award doing it. I was suspicious of bad weather when we left.. It won't stop me from trying again.....one more year of training.

For hand jamming into cracks.......pro longs skin for more climbing. Some say its cheating. Well then I guess so are ropes chalk.....and of course the wraptor.

Utterly awesome pics and scenery. Man, that is living to be trekking around in that country. I'd be getting a dang drug high from it. Just amazing landscape. Those summit-area pics on p. 5 are kinda scary with the exposure and such, probably real scary in real life, at least until you get used to it. The little rock climbing Ive done told me that you get used to exposure in trees like up to a hunert feet. But go to a cliff and 500' there feels not good at all...:/:

Many thanks for posting, inspirational pics and trip.

Place bag on ground.....shit in bag.....add lime.....roll up and hide in your partners pack

What is the lime for, cuts the stench, or what?

Btw, why didn't you not wear any down clothes so that you wouldn't have to worry about rain concerns? Bulk and weight? Seems like there must be synthetic stuff that could compete, especially on a summer trip.

Awe inspiring, John. Thanks.

Hand Jammies are sticky rubber crack gloves. Tape gloves (sports/ athletic/ coach's tape made into "hand casts") is pretty normal, mostly. The sticky rubber is a variation, mostly thought of as cheating. When people first used sticky rubber shoes, they said it was cheating. Tape pads the back of your hands against little pebbles, as well as general abrasion. If you're climbing easy cracks, you often don't need to tape up, but when you're really pulling hard against the insides of the crack, you can easily bloody your hands.

Only part that is weird is descending. Rapped off cardinal with one 70 meter rope. 4 raps of 115......dangerously close to ends. Lime or kitty litter kills stench

Just buried shit if there was enough soil and trees

image.jpg
Utterly awesome pics and scenery. Man, that is living to be trekking around in that country. I'd be getting a dang drug high from it. Just amazing landscape. Those summit-area pics on p. 5 are kinda scary with the exposure and such, probably real scary in real life, at least until you get used to it. The little rock climbing Ive done told me that you get used to exposure in trees like up to a hunert feet. But go to a cliff and 500' there feels not good at all...:/:

Many thanks for posting, inspirational pics and trip.

What is the lime for, cuts the stench, or what?

Back