335 xpt

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I find the balance is a perfect match for me on these saws, even with the shortcomings you speak of Al. Nate I applaud your undertaking and fix. I have two to do in the near future and may just see if clogs are the issue first. Although I am getting more and more proficient with tear down and rebuilding.
And Al should you want to sell off the ones on your shelf keep me in mind, lord knows when if ever the new release of 540t will reach us if ever!

I held a 540t on the weekend. The husky rep wouldn't let me keep it though. Jan release here so they say.

Not for general sale til January. The rep said there's some changes coming at the end of the year to some European noise regs that will affect power output on these saws when they have to comply so that all production is being pumped into that market until the year end. That's what he said anyways.

I coulda cut some cookies with it but didn't bother. My name is down for the first arrival at my saw shop.

It's kinda like a hobby me tweeking some more power out of saws which is merely for the challange .I've had an idea to fiddle with the little Huskies just never found the time .

If I recall correctly somebody on the left coast had a souped little Huskie top handle done by Ed Heard that ran pretty well .What to actually do to them being a clamshell I'll have to delve into should I find the time .

In my case I know a hell of a lot more about Stihls than I do Husqvarna because the later is just not a popular brand in these parts .

Not believing that it couldn't be done, I tried to tweak a clamshell, the asian version Husky 333. Messed around with the porting and basically ruined the saw. :dontknow:

The problem as I see it with a clamshell is there is no practicle way to increase the compression. There for any alteration of the opening of the exhaust or transfer ports would be detrimental .

I did have some luck working on the widths of both the intake and exhaust of an open transfer port port design of a sub 50 cc Poulan (2.8 cu inch ).Turned out it has bad seals and I've done nothing further with it .The thing would scoot though for about two cuts until the seals warmed up .

You guys think a legit high performance climbing saw can have a primer bulb on it? I tend to associate those with lesser/smaller/cheaper saws.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Never understood them myself as you have to choke them anyways.
In the dead of winter I can see it working a tad faster but overall another planned repair part to sell.

Seems to be the new trend, having the bulbs. A pro user saw can have them too for sure. If you don't use the bulb, the starting is encumbered on the ones I've used. A different carb arrangement is my guess. I think my impression is that with the bulbs they do start a tad faster, but it isn't like a major big difference between a good running saw that doesn't come with a bulb. Some really old saws like from thirty or more years ago had them too.

On most saws from a long sit and a cold start it takes about 6-8 tugs to get the gas sucked up into the diaphragm fuel chamber .Saws sometimes being fickle as teenage prom queens could be more or less .This no doubt has caused the use of primer buttons .

I have some that even after three months fire on 4 and some if you don't squirt bottle them takes 15-20 which is very annoying .Once they start they usually fire on one the rest of the day .It may be a surprise to many and contrary to popular belief but of the whole lot the 10 series Macs are the easiest starters.

I really would not mind the bulb.... if they did not have to be REPLACED every 2 yrs or so. My Stihl pole saw has one, and it seems to last about that long. IF they could figure out how to make them last, it would be ok.

I haven't seen many quite old saws that had bulbs, but one very old Kioritz belonging to a neighbor that needed the bulb replaced, the rubber seemed to be quite thick. He might have gotten twenty years or more out of that bulb, I think it was still the original. New ones now seem a bit thinner. Easier to push but much shorter lasting.

They've been around for ever in certain applications .The old portable boat motor remote tanks had them but they were tank mounted .Same deal ,it just primed the carb .

We had a 338 on the bench today........Jon replaced the piston and muffler modded it. I wonder if it would like a timing advance too?

Back