2013 is full!

A stumper will take a seperate trailer and tow vehicle, no?

Personally, I hate stump grinding, to the point that I haven't fixed my starter solenoid in well over a year (well hate grinding, and have a baby).

The 38 Special grinder might be a good choice. I don't know exactly how its power conversion is compared to a regular stumper, but I know 20-25 horses isn't enough. If you are okay with a dedicated grinder, the more power the better, provided it can access your tight space. http://www.topnotchequipment.com/dl...rnumber_1444925-38+Special+Stump+Grinder+.htm

12g's brand new.

Who has a 38 Special? Brendon was considering, previously, IIRC.

The 38 special is 38hp direct driven to the cutting wheel. IMO and my employees experience(he's run other grinders I haven't) it compares very well.

I hate grinding like no tomorrow. A nescessary evil IMO to land some of the big jobs.

The 38 specials biggest drawback is it ties up the mini grinding instead of moving tree debris.

I delegate some of the grinding. We don't do a lot if I can help it. I work with my one full time guy as a equal. He's paid by me but I don't play the boss card at work.

I really appreciate everyones input. I almost want to rent a mini on regular days just to see if it would improve production. I have a hard time believing that it will be worth it when you figure in a second vehicle to tow it, the time it takes to load and unload, fuel costs, potential lawn damage, skid marks on concrete, etc. Most days we are on 2-3 properties working at each one for 2-3 hours. How much time would a mini really save?.

We recently showed up with our F350 wiht the dingo in it... Saws and rigging gear packed around it towing the chipper. We planned out a dump site close to the job for the chips. Came back... took the stem down and moved all the wood, loaded the mini and gear and hooked back up the chipper. Mini helped place the chipper as well on a tiny little access road that would have been a biatch to back it down as it was sheer wall on one side and a steep drop to a creek on the other.
HO was impressed. He could not believe, all that gear and equipment came with just the aid of one pick up truck.
Mini loads and unloads, truck or trailer, 5 minutes per..... In or out. 5 minutes if you set it up right. 1500 pounds wet aint shat to carry to save you 1-2 hours or even a day per job. Yes, we actually had it save us a day of big wood moving. Not to mention the brush.

WIth a mini you will cut larger too and be waiting less time in the tree for it to be moved. No cutting necessary... lift and drag... next drop please.

A stumper will take a seperate trailer and tow vehicle, no?

Personally, I hate stump grinding, to the point that I haven't fixed my starter solenoid in well over a year (well hate grinding, and have a baby).

The 38 Special grinder might be a good choice. I don't know exactly how its power conversion is compared to a regular stumper, but I know 20-25 horses isn't enough. If you are okay with a dedicated grinder, the more power the better, provided it can access your tight space. http://www.topnotchequipment.com/dl...rnumber_1444925-38+Special+Stump+Grinder+.htm

12g's brand new.

Who has a 38 Special? Brendon was considering, previously, IIRC.

I take a day every week or two and run around and hit stumps so really no need for a second truck but it is kind of a pain in the butt loading it into my dump trailer every time, plus with a second trailer I will shave off about 2g's in weight towing.

image.jpg image.jpg Decided to register just so I could jump in on this thread.

After my first season with my own business, I was using a Vermeer 625 and a 1500 without a dump. I decided the next year to invest and a dump truck was a no-brainer. My next purchase was going to be a bigger chipper or a mini. I found a decent used Vermeer 600 for 10k. It was my best move ever! If I had to choose I would keep the mini and use the smallest chippe in the world, it just makes life easy.

Here is a pic from the other day, mini with grapple and 30hp grinder attachement plus pulling chipper. The job was an hour away but I found a place close by to dump the wood and chips were left on site. One truck, one trip!

Conversation does seem better here than most other sites. I'm more of a browser, but Ill make an effort so you wont have to delete my profile!

New forums will appear once you're a registered member. More forums can appear once we get to know you better. Don't be shy to fill out your profile, make posts and share your pics with us. Flaming is not allowed here, not in the least.

What is your first name? Where are you? My name is Butch and I'm in central Louisiana.

Matt, about an hour east of Montreal. Ive been working in the woods since 05, climbing since 07 and running my own business since 11.

Ive been lurking for a number of years, picking everyones brains, just never signed up.

I kinda thought I felt something picking at mine a couple of times.
Welcome to the House.

What...with the Arbor Trolley thread going hot, no-one's suggested he try that first!?

What...with the Arbor Trolley thread going hot, no-one's suggested he try that first!?

I tried from my phone, but some snafu prevented it from posting.

As far as a wraptor goes, its a great tool. I wonder how long your typical TIPs are, tho. A HH with a nice, and inexpensive rope walker set-up can be great. You unhook your two ascenders, slack tender, and you're working. Might be a great tool for you, but since you two are the climbers and the groundies, the mini will preserve your body more, IMO, in this age of advanced rope walking set-ups. I musta had mine dialed this one day (it doesn't always go quick so smooth) when a friend and I were doing a climbing class/ experience for some WA Conservation Corps/ Americorps volunteers, and I could hardly believe how fast and easy my ascent was. 100' in probably 3 minutes or less. Helps not to have a bunch of gear and a saw weighing me down, and I've dropped 20 pounds.

I tried from my phone, but some snafu prevented it from posting.

As far as a wraptor goes, its a great tool. I wonder how long your typical TIPs are, tho. A HH with a nice, and inexpensive rope walker set-up can be great. You unhook your two ascenders, slack tender, and you're working. Might be a great tool for you, but since you two are the climbers and the groundies, the mini will preserve your body more, IMO, in this age of advanced rope walking set-ups. I musta had mine dialed this one day (it doesn't always go quick so smooth) when a friend and I were doing a climbing class/ experience for some WA Conservation Corps/ Americorps volunteers, and I could hardly believe how fast and easy my ascent was. 100' in probably 3 minutes or less. Helps not to have a bunch of gear and a saw weighing me down, and I've dropped 20 pounds.

If you preset a rigging line with a pulley, and have a climb line, you can pull the rigging line with the mini which is attached to you.

When you're doing longer ascents, the Wraptor is Fan-frickin-tastic.

I know I'm more tempted to come down to help clean-up when there is lot of material on the ground. When I get a mini, I doubt I'll be as inclined, rather, I'll probably take a break in the tree and enjoy myself more, chillin'.

Back