$15/hr minimum wage- what's it mean to you?

The Texas thing is like an urban myth. There's plenty written up on it if you google it. The world is definetly getting crowded at a unsustainable rate.

At 51 I'm hoping that society will hold together long enough for me to miss any apocalyptic collapse.
You know the sort of thing, lawless gangs roaming and killing at will, food shortages, fuel shortages.
I'll be happy to miss that.

The population density in the U.S. is around 35 people per square mile. Huge areas of the world have much lower densities. There's still plenty of room.

35 people per sq mile is 1 person per 18 acres... not exactly like we're talking about a whole lot of room, especially after you factor in portions of the country in relatively ill hospitable locations (hot/cold/arid/mountains/swamps)... for example, only 1/4 of Alaska is considered habitable and Alaska is 17% of the total US land mass (21% when compared to the contiguous land area only).

I did the math a while back...barring water acreage, every human on the planet could be put in Texas on a 1/4 acre lot I believe it was. I'd have to rerun the figures.

I got curious

268,581 sq miles in TX, 2.5% is water. 7 billion folks would divide the land into 1043 sq ft per person, an acre is 43560 sw ft.

I expected that it was much, much, much closer to Carl's figure. Now add into that space (smaller than my house) the necessary farm land, manufacturing facilities, mining, water/ septic/sewer, etc, per person.

Back