$15/hr minimum wage- what's it mean to you?

I went to a baseball game a little bit ago and I watched a whole lot of drunk people acting stupid. I had a realization that being an alcoholic is much less of a problem when you have money. Their money masks the problem which is not so easily disguised when a Sixpack costs a quarter of your take home pay.

So poor people are denied the luxury of alcoholism? We should give poor people more money so they can get pissed with dignity?
I don't really get your point on this one

Agreed, if you're not feeling flush with cash booze/drugs are the first things that shouldn't be purchased.

Well stated Jim.
I guarantee you, the people at BK, or Subway or any restaurant or store in my little town nor any other (for the most part), will not be working any harder or be any more grateful to be making 15.00 per hour than they were at 8. Their lives, for the most part will go unchanged. They will still be buying lotto tickets and alcohol and candy bars while filling their bellies with junk food and fast food. Texting on their smart phones to the land lords and employers apologising for tardiness after finding it is hard to pay for rent or fuel after their indulgence.

:thumbup::thumbup:

So poor people are denied the luxury of alcoholism? We should give poor people more money so they can get pissed with dignity?
I don't really get your point on this one

lol, Im still trying to figure out what Kevin is talking about in this thread....

Nick,that's what they go home with, I charge out at $35-45...they are subs, have their own small business, so I have no overhead.
Bda is $US equivalent, Tas is $0.77 to the dollar.

lol, my point is that there are a lot of drunk lazy assholes out there And it does not have anything to do with their being poor.
like its only okay for a rich person to drink. Obviously, if your poor you should count and save your pennies and be moderate. My feeling is that most of the drunk assholes at the baseball game would make terrible poor people. They are in a situation with such margins where making bad decisions doesn't really matter. Does that make sense?
you say, that person is poor because he is making such terrible decisions! But then I see people make terrible decisions and live their life in a drunken stupor drinking 8 dollar beers like water and honestly,

if I were earning minimum wage I myself think I would skip the diapers and buy beer.. and a lotto ticket.

lol, my point is that there are a lot of drunk lazy assholes out there And it does not have anything to do with their being poor...

That is a good point. I love the saying " we are but the sum of the choices we have made" because it is true. However, it is not the only truth. The strength of society allows many to survive and prosper that should not. We seem to believe, that with our superior intellect, we can live outside the laws of the natural world and get away with it. We can not.

Much of what we perceive and label as right or wrong is just our perception. It is ironic that the stronger society gets, the weaker we make the human fabric from which it is made. Does the rabbit deserve to be killed by the eagle? Will the eagle be able to rest and hunt less when he gets old?

Will raising the minimum wage for all work, stop the struggles of the poor?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Will raising the minimum wage for all work, stop the struggles of the poor?

Of course not. Prices of everything wills up. Medical care will go up. Rent will go up. The poor will be making more, but will still be as poor as they are now.

love
nick

Wouldn't not having a minimum wage mean an acceptance of slavery? Not quite the Same. But if you could pay nothing than surely some people would. Is a swe at shop much different than slavery?

9361f3da86606adcd83b89214081ddd0.jpg

Surely the introduction of the minimum wage did a great deal to strengthen the middle class and elevate extreme poverty and hunger in our country, or am I mistaken. Are we saying that we shouldn't have a minimum wage at all?

I am an evil business owner and the president of an even more evil corporation.

Sometimes I throw up in the bushes because I dont know how I am going to pay my bills. Or produce enough so my folks can pay their bills, or my hired man can pay his bills. Or produce enough to satisfy the govt.

No real point I guess.

Most working people are wage slaves today, Kevin. Barely hanging on between pay checks.

I can see that. I'm seeing connections between, walmart, junk food, junk food, minimum wage, etc.

So on one hand progress is good but what do you do with the skilled guy out of work by a high school kid operating a cnc machine. So minimum wage raising helps out the robots, which on one hand is progress but means less work. Isn't the idea that we all do very little and live happy? is operating a cnc machine that flips burgers harder than operating one that makes cabinets?
I love these kinds of discussions, I'm on the opposite point of view when I talk with my brother in law Funny enough.

I love these kinds of discussions, I'm on the opposite point of view when I talk with my brother in law Funny enough.[/QUOTE]

Oh my goodness!!! That is so good to hear. I was concerned you were going to blow some kind of hydraulic hose worrying about the apparently unsolvable ills of humanity.

Interesting points to me are that on an individual basis anyone who wants to be done with minimum wage can and does find a way to move beyond it. Also if in theory we wanted a particular rich person to give up their wealth and disperse it to the poor we would by rights give up all the benefits too. So say we want Bill Gates to disperse his $90 billion. Then stop reading on your computer, recycle it, and plan on radical changes in every aspect of life because you will have to shun anything that was done on a PC.

At holiday dinners when the conversation turns to evil corporations and the evil rich I always think FINE. So tomorrow lets all get together. We'll spend 16 hour days together for years on end coming up with something that benefits our fellow man enough to have millions and billions flow our way. Then, instead of keeping it we will give it all away. (Next day, ZERO PEOPLE at the initial meeting.)

Back