The Official Random Video Thread!

Mike Tyson knocked plenty of folks thru the ropes afaik.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/TpHNmL9hs_I" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I don't see a single incidence of "knocked thru the ropes". I see some falling into the ropes, like a tree being felled, because their brains have disconnected, but I don't see anyone being "sent flying"

Tecniques that send the object they hit flying, are pushing tecniques, not impact tecniques.
A good impact tecnique is absorbed by the object it hits, that is what causes internal damage.
A push tecnique, like the sidekick Lee demonstrates in your link, will only damage the object it hits, if that body happens to fall under a passing bus.
Looks real fine in movies, though.

Bruce Lee is a religious object, and that is why it is impossible to have a rational discussion about him.
It is like discussing religion with a born again christian.
Can't be done.

Awesome comparisons.

I'm not comparig anybody to anybody, just following your logic to the end.
We can only badmouth those that are alive and able to speak up.

No more ragging on Muhammad, either!
Poor guy can't defend himself.

LOL. Bruce Lee was no doubt an incredible athlete, with an amazing level of fitness and dedication. He was obviously also well versed in I think a version of Wing Chun Kung Fu.

But he never competed, and all videos, film of hi etc is specially directed to make him look good.

Interesting what you say about Tyson Stig. I'm always in a quandry about him. Was he one of the most powerful boxers ever? undoubtedly. Was he one of the best boxers ever? I don't think so. But watching him bunch and strike in slow motion, the power coming up from those enormous muscular legs, is an amazing thing to see.

It depends on how you define "best" boxer.
He wasn't a tecnical genius like Ali, but had the fearsome striking power to make up for that.
I have always felt that Ali in his prime could have beaten Tyson in his prime.
Tyson ranks Ali as the best heavy weight ever, with himself second.

I think it's widely accepted that Ali in his prime would have beaten Tyson in his prime. Sadly, a lot of Tysons fights were carefully managed to take him to the top.

Lennox had been trying to arrange the fight with Tyson for years to challenge him, but was always denied by management. When he finally did fight him he pounded him into the dirt.

Here is a good example of a good impact hitter.
Notice how much more terminal velocity and impact her punches have, compared to those of the male boxer.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Gzntve0kiaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/_mfn5As4G5o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Wood splitter. Skip to about 3:00 unless you speak German and want to be bored.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-hY7FBarvOA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

That was an awesome, spectacular compilation, Stig. Thanks for posting. I saw 6 or 7 guys knocked thru the ropes there, nobody clean out of the ring, but whatever. Looks to me like Mike's fundamentals were razor sharp, and combined with his power and athleticism, makes for a one of a kind spectacle.

The side kick you mentioned was cited by BL as good means of self defense and keeping range, not necessarily to cause a lot of damage, though many mma fighters today think it should be a banned technique cuz of the damage it can do to an opponents knee.

Cory, I meant the sidekick in the video where he sends the opponent flying into a stack of boxes.
The short sidekick to the knee is a super effective tecnique. The Japanese call it kansetsu geri, which translates to "dislocation kick" as far as I know. ( Jay??)
Most of the really good self defense tecniques are banned in MMA, which is one reason Karate fighters don't do very well.

I loved seeing Tyson box when he was in his prime. I remember when he fought bruno first time, I was in California and were going to watch the fight with my friend who runs the karate dojo where I often teach.
We had just set out a big bowl of pistacios and cracked the first beer, settled down to enjoy the fight, and then it was over with a spectacular double punch KO.

giphy.gif

Good info, Stig.

Tyson's highlight tape is, just, smh. One wonders how far he could have gone if his trainer/mentor Cus D'amato hadn't passed away

His hooks and uppercuts look classic as they are almost all core power, very little arm power.

Being able to "reload" like that and get so much power into the second punch is no mean feat.

Tyson should have faced some decent opponents and stuck to decent training. He could have been better than he was. It's funny, but in defeat, bankruptcy and after prison, I actually quite like the guy. There is still some of the old fire, but a lot of humility there.

I also don't totally buy into his 'rape' charge.

Gotta love Lennox though ;)

tumblr_n4mcqazx021qhkbk8o1_400.gif

tumblr_n4mcqazx021qhkbk8o2_400.gif

tumblr_n4mcqazx021qhkbk8o3_400.gif

8y75gp.jpg

tumblr_map5rxnfvi1ql5goko1_500.jpg

tumblr_lmkgfay6Qi1ql5goko1_500.jpg

I played bible hoops with Lennox. :thumbup:
He is pretty darn nice guy.
Sold me his autoteck car stereo for very lil
money out of his t-bird can't remember if it was
before or after his olympic gold. a great Canadian and sportsman.
Gentle giant is what i remember.

Nice pics, Thor. Amazing to see Mike take a punch and go down after all those wins. Cool shit talking too from Mike. Did you see where he told off a Canadian interviewer a few weeks ago? He tells whoever needs to hear exactly what he thinks. And he seems like he's in pretty good shape these days. 1 on 1, he could probably still take out 98-99% of the human males on earth.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/AiJ-hLWoPQk" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some really good people to cheer for from Canada. If you remember Dewitt(the great white hope) and Sullivan.
those were some great yrs in boxing. I myself am the big dog in lil dogs body.
Just remembering a few times with guys like Lewis is that if they make the effort to break down the court with you that you best pass it off. big bodies expend more energy and am sure he was already tired from other training. I went to all boys catholic high school the lions and lennox was a gael. There was a hard core, downtown , death match blue collar type of atmosphere in the gymnasium. Never mind all the girls from St marys and there wet undies bare legs and kilts overhead on the track surrounding the whole of the hardwoods. Gym was called the pumpkin mb more so for all the wild cinderallas looking for a ball. Ha Ha!
See some good and bad memories surfacing. Highschool I felt such a misfit, wild horse, whatever but guys like Lennox were welcoming an appreciative of your efforts. Real cool dude!
I love the treehouse!:thumbup:

Back