How'd it go today?

It was kind of a sad day yesterday .I attended the showing of a son of a very dear female friend .I knew that guy since he was15 years old,died at 51 .

She was a liitle more than a friend at one time but I'll spare the details .Sad the guy lived a life of torment,drugs and booze.They got him in the end .

So I did what I could,held her hand and talked to her .We've always remained friends which is seldom happens not going into the details of the past,that's in the past .

Well today's job more than doubled in size. Red Dog brought his dead on felling skills to the game, home owner was extremely happy. So much so that he had us kill about 9 blue spruce. Tomorrow will be finishing up the job, and lots of climbing. How this momentum keeps going.I like to have jobs like this every week.

Hmmm.......

I had not considered that possibility.

The one in front looks awful cute and looks kinda bright, too.

Being a softie for animals may run in my family. My uncle in Maine raised pigs one year. He was a real character and his pigs were too. He said he felt miserable when the butcher came to get them and I think for that reason he didn't raise them again.

I understand well. My wife raised pigs for a few years. She would have to stay home when it was time to butcher. I did not like it either, hard to watch an animal bleed out when twenty mins before you were scratching its ears. Being drunk helped a bit. For a while anyway. Meat is a hell of a thing.

Brantford Packers used to butcher pigs, a very old company with very old methods, it was really something to hear a truck full of pigs freaking out after they hear and see the first one get slit and drained.... sad to admit, but after I`d complete my service call I would still buy a pound or two of bacon. They have since closed up. Good products though.

Well, so much for vacation...couple jobs to look at next week, then one to climb on Fri. Ah well, it was nice while it lasted.

I don't know if the thing about the blacksmith's horse and the shoemaker's kids always having the worst shoes exists in English, but this arborists fruit trees always get pruned too seldom.

So it was good to finish them today in nice weather. I have about 45, so it is not a one day job.
The 1000s of narcisses growing under them was starting to come up, so it was high time I got around to it, in another week I won't be able to walk around the trees without stepping on narcisses.

I once took down a medium size oak with a bunch of tiger lillies growing around it.
The very nice woman owner asked us to spare them, so we kinda turned it into a " Lets see if we can do this" thing and took the tree out without as much as bending a leaf on the lillies.

My best client ( who is extremely rich) once owned a place with a most impressive collection of Rhododendron. We had to take out two scots pine, that were growing in the middle of the Rhodos. He told me that under no circumstance could we damage the Rhodos.
So I let him know that it would be VERY expensive to take those trees out with zero damage.
The answer was that he didn't care, just don't touch the flowers.

Now, that was a fun job:)

If only... I mean I get a good amount to miss natives all the time. But no one ever really wants the price tag on flowers for the most part. Some rare exception. They look at you like a deer in the head lights when you tell them more money to do it that way. "Why?" is the response. Can't fix some people. Never had a complaint on us trying not to and squishing a few. But you have to sell them on "they'll be back next year, there will be some damage at the price."
I just get tired of people getting an estimate, getting on the schedule and never mentioning they planted 300 bulbs that were grandma's beneath the tree. Then ask the question......
My other personal favourite is when they plant a bunch of little cedars for every dead relatives birthday or some shat and want you to just fell it and not squish nuttin when they are only a couple feet apart everywhere.....

Sure, I've had those as well.
That is why it was so enjoyable when the guy said " I don't care" when told what it would cost.

Stock phrases.
"That'll come back lovely in the spring"
"With all that extra light that shrub will recover in no time"
"That pile of grindings will settle flat during the winter"
"That roof will grow back in days"
(The last one doesn't really work ime)

Back