How'd it go today?

Was pretty windy today and I was relieved to get out the last tree which was an Evergreen Alder, it had a defect with visible rot around 3 meters below my tie in and was swaying about all over the place.

I thought I had found a new super food to eat whilst at work: Brazil Nuts. They are super high in protein and healthy fats so a small pile is a real rich source of energy and obviously convenient to boot being nuts however the downside is that they are so high in selenium content that you only need to eat 2, that's right 2 whole friggin' nuts and you're already at recommended daily intake, go beyond this and you risk Selenium Toxicity, apparently.

Are you saying you see those things in Australia Steve?

In some suburbs that's about all you see, Southwest Sydney mainly but it's expanding. I rarely get calls now from some areas I used to regularly work in, if I do it's an old Aussie. Spot the Aussie was a joke years ago, not anymore around there. I'm more to the Northwest, not too many there.

Just had a heart stopper an hour ago. A big leaf maple at the edge of a forrest. Very steep ground. Tree was about 110 ft but no more than 16 in diameter...with a disproportionate one sided canopy. No targets but a horrible place to be sawing. Knew I would have to run for my life. Set the undercut and hinge, and then one handed the release cut with the 200t so I could get the frig away fast. Bang, she went. I dropped the saw and ran. The log still split 10 feet up the middle but ultimately held together and went with the hinge. Got away with it. A binding/ratchet strap would've been the ticket, but I was in the little truck with only a small amount of gear with me.

There's about 15 trees to come out on that site middle of the month. All around 100 ft except 1 awkward fucker on the embankment above his house....which is alot taller. I just dropped the maple today to make room for a steel container.

Glad it worked out Reg.

Raised the big net between the course and driving range today with the boss.
Pump has been kicking on for no reason lately, so went into the basement to check it out. Pex split on a bend above the hot water heater. Of course I have every fitting I'll ever need for the plumbing here except the one I need now...so did the plumber buddy I called.

Heading out in a bit to return some keys I found and get paid from an old gig I played...Probably stop and pick up the fitting I need on the way back, so I can get my water going yet tonight.

First real day with the crane today. Sposed to take 3 of these pines but took all 7 on upsale. Busy and hot! Rose the ball all day, sticks as hell sap. Then another prune afterwards. The pines had started failing and had vertical crack, and had hit the car in the storms.
321a27ec112520f09ee4c8eff99415bd.jpg
d61a881fc5608148d1041c5db0b21efc.jpg
63b4128e096f251c51b5a6d9cd654f2e.jpg
b8bbdd7d47baa629b7a3aa8792cc214a.jpg
8bf5c80d38fa49709b7bb0f09550362c.jpg
24bb7e1c8f61ebed2962bbbaead733a7.jpg
ee597c341660dc1581d468614b463c33.jpg
db7d8eeda3fd359b2ae11bda0aaf3300.jpg
e1ccc8fe4781eb5a6eb2a1e8205343da.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nice job and log truck.

What does he do with that wood?

Today was absolutely terrible, no intelligence on the local crew at all I swear. Hot as hell and I found myself taking down 13 dead spruce trees, set good time on them too, wrecked out in about 20 minutes/tree and I thought that with a tractor and grapple they'd keep up (boy was I wrong) I raked for about 5 hours then ground stumps, and removed the grindings, filled with black dirt and seeded. And spent all 12 hours of the day yelling at people to get out of the truck, or get off their phone, and then when I saw them sitting in the shade while I worked with the foreman I'd bout had enough. It was bad enough that I had to use my truck to get their job done moving their crap, but to not put any effort into getting through the battle to win the war is ridiculous. Luckily fiddler had called me and something about talking to my friend and mentor really seems to calm me down. So we finished the job and I was able to have a calm conversation with the owner of the company about the lack of effort that cost him more hours of my time.

It's good to get your heart rate up every now and then Reg. Seriously though glad you're ok.
Those kinda days suck Nic. You will have them once in a while though. Were you contracted with a set price or a hourly rate? A set price would've put me through the roof where a hourly rate could've been tolerable.

It's good to get your heart rate up every now and then Reg. Seriously though glad you're ok.
Those kinda days suck Nic. You will have them once in a while though. Were you contracted with a set price or a hourly rate? A set price would've put me through the roof where a hourly rate could've been tolerable.

I contacted in for hourly, less dollars per hour but I can fill any of my open days as I want. Problem is that I've become his go to guy and I don't wanna lose that. On the other hand he keeps wanting me to hire in and if I do that I feel I'd have a lot of days like today.

Glad the talk helped Nic. Bad/lazy crews suck...particularly when you don't have enough power over them to do something about it.

I made it up North & back. Took Otis for a nice ride with the AC pumping. Got paid and returned my buddys' keys. The band all couldn't understand why I didn't bring my bass: um...cause the band leader didn't ask me to play maybe?

Didn't find my plumbing fitting yet, so no water tonight. I'll try again tomorrow afternoon after work.

Today was absolutely terrible, no intelligence on the local crew at all I swear. Hot as hell and I found myself taking down 13 dead spruce trees, set good time on them too, wrecked out in about 20 minutes/tree and I thought that with a tractor and grapple they'd keep up (boy was I wrong) I raked for about 5 hours then ground stumps, and removed the grindings, filled with black dirt and seeded. And spent all 12 hours of the day yelling at people to get out of the truck, or get off their phone, and then when I saw them sitting in the shade while I worked with the foreman I'd bout had enough. It was bad enough that I had to use my truck to get their job done moving their crap, but to not put any effort into getting through the battle to win the war is ridiculous. Luckily fiddler had called me and something about talking to my friend and mentor really seems to calm me down. So we finished the job and I was able to have a calm conversation with the owner of the company about the lack of effort that cost him more hours of my time.

If only you could just throttle them!

Yea, that phone call was definitely some divine intervention, I was about ready to just call it an expired contact and accept the jail time lol. Tomorrow has to be better. On a positive note my feet have never felt this good after climbing, I'm digging these fancy new boots

Back