How'd it go today?

I have all three. Hollow points do a good job of limiting penetration.

IMHO, a hand gun is a pretty poor choice for home defence. I would rather use a shot gun. Easier to hit with because of its longer sight radius and if you dont use slugs it does not penetrate walls badly. 4 shot or 2 shot used in coyote loads ars ideal. A short barrel and a bright light either mounted or carried would be best. Again, IMHO.

Mine is loaded with Glasers.
Yup, I know they are WAY overrated in terms of knock down effect, but they won't penetrate walls.
If someone gets past the dogs and is enough of a threat that I don't just use my bare hands or a bladed or blunt weapon, they'll be close enough that the much overrated effect of the Glasers won't matter.
In the area I live, that is never going to be an issue anyway, I'm just paranoid.
Most people who spend a lifetime studying martial arts are.

Jim, gun safes are mandatory here. To keep you from getting killed by your stolen gun.

Stupid, I know, but we are commies.

Use a friction hitch or Bollard to terminate the rope at a middle point, not a grip.

The sound of a shell being pumped into the chamber, with a bright light on it would make me poop my pants. I don't know how much intimidation factor works out in real life. With a pistol, you kinda have to shoot it to have the same impact...but I don't know. I would much more fear someone actually hitting me with a shotgun, than a pistol. However, the rational mind doesn't have a lot to do with home invasion.

I have a customer who is in his early 80's had a home invasion, they stuck a handgun barrel in his face, he told them to fack off a few times and they left.

Nice story Stig.

Been learning by leaps & bounds on the fiddle the last few days. Usually play from about 8 to noon, take a break for the heat and then play most of the evening again.

I got invited to set in with some younger friends who're playing a show about an hour from here tonight. Not sure if I'll just go watch or bring an instrument yet...

Dave, Have your instrument with you "just in case." Better to have it and not need it. I bet it would be cool to get to play with them.

I'm considering it Gary. If I bring it I'll end up playing...too hot to leave it in the vehicle. Just not sure if I feel like listening or playing.;)

My order of half a gross of carpenters pencils showed up today five dozen shy. Emailed at five o'clock and just got a response at 7:40. They could tell by the weight of the package that I had been shorted and the remaining five dozen are on their way. That's better service then I was expecting.

Those are a fun and sticky mess. NOT... fun that is. LOL

Had a really cool job today saving a nice sized fruitless mulberry a HO treasured by his patio and pool. He does construction and had most of the parts for a cable guying of the falling over tree. He had it chained to his tractor when I went and looked at it. Leaning hard to the pool and corner of the patio, root plate lifting a tad on the opposite side.
So he also had a 90# pneumatic hammer drill and bits and a very loud and large compressor to run it. So Rob drilled a hole into a granite boulder up the hill from the tree for an anchor for the guy line. Set a 2" solid steel post/picket. HO had a big ol 7/8ths turn buckle for it. Some 3/8ths cable. Better part of 100 feet as it had to be high and crossed a driveway.
So I used a couple tree guard saddles and basically set up a 4ton system to guy it in two leaders. Funky turd of a tree but we made it look better with some reduction pruning. Mostly spaced the limbs and took out the obvious with few exception. 30-40 percent it seems. Best guess.
Watched the chain holding up the tree with two climbers in it go a little softer :) We then installed the set system I put together on the ground and set the tension we wanted on it. HO cleaned up the limbs. It was a really fun day after all the removals we had been doing.
I wish I had taken pictures. He had the entire trunk of the tree slathered in mastic (roofing tar) :lol:
Maybe we bought the tree a decade. Who knows... But holy crap, what had been done to the poor thing before we got there! :lol:

My order of half a gross of carpenters pencils showed up today five dozen shy. Emailed at five o'clock and just got a response at 7:40. They could tell by the weight of the package that I had been shorted and the remaining five dozen are on their way. That's better service then I was expecting.

Half a gross? How many rods to the hogs head does your pickup get for mileage?:P

Thanks Bermy, would you believe they are custom made in-house?

The place I work has had a dedicated Boat Shop for over fifty years. They are edge glued cedar on ash frames with fiberglass skins. Not very light, but track well and are stable.

Finally organized a lucrative three day gig a couple of hours south of me.
Within sight of this chateau in the Dordogne called Hautefort.
Found somewhere local to tip the chip (20 cube at least)
Found a cheap hotel. If all the machinery stays on track this job could set August off to a good start.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 47
Back