What's your job and why?

• Thread starter Levi
  • Start date
  • Replies 157
  • Views 9K
L

Levi

What is your main source of income?

I'm in my second year of owning and operating a small tree care business. Why? Well, I just kind of fell into it, I like tree work and there's decent money in it. I could not stand being an employee so decided to go solo. Now my brother is teamed up, right on. Figured this was the best way to make legitimate money being a high school drop out with no GED.

How about you?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Before I had a family I lived far outside of the law, lots of paper but you know, easy come easy go! That lifestyle was not sustainable anyhow. It's trees for me for now.

Right on, a brother from down under!

My best friend just went home to OZ after 3 years stateside, miss him already.

Melbourne. His mom lives there I think and his dad has a sweet farm North of there.

Coffs Harbour is the address he left...

I'll meet you there, 5 years, smoke a fat joint with hash.

I'm lead foreman, head climber/ bucket operator and as of recently safety officer for the company I work for M-F. I do my own legit jobs on Saturday. Really thinking hard about offering M-Th and doing Friday's for my stuff. Slowly transitioning to my own thing. Even though I might complain about the company a bit, they really treat me well. I do it because I truly enjoy it. I labored and ran equipment for almost 9 years and was in a cure bad place most of those years. This makes me happy. It's strange but after a complicated, stressful removal I'm almost euphoric when I come home.

I left treework full time in 2006 to do analytical chemistry. I competed still in 2007 and made $5K in 6 days after hurricane Ike in 2008. That was my last real tree work other than a cashy here and there.

Now I'm self employed. (basically I work for 4 companies)

www.upanalytical.com

Why? In doing tree work, I noticed the widest margins were in sales, so I moved to doing sales and consultation (chemistry) full time. As a side note, I made the most $$ in tree work when I was working as a contract climber.

I ran a 2-4 man crew for 2.5yrs as well. Never, ever, ever again.... employees wreck my head.

ha, I hear ya Jim...

I retired from running my own tree co. and contract climbing this spring. Dr. told me to quit 5 years ago, but I kept going 'til the body really said stop.

Now I dink around doing grounds maint. at a little golf course near home in the mornings and set in with bands once in a while when they need help.

As of a year ago I'm the GM at a private hunting and fishing club, which is evolving into a forestry lab, on Lake Superior. I've worked and lived there since 2002. Started climbing about four years ago and obtained an ISA cert a few years after that. Carry my own insurance and do a good bit of local tree work in the community.

I ran a 2-4 man crew for 2.5yrs as well. Never, ever, ever again.... employees wreck my head.

Nate I've only just come to realise what people meant when they said this and similar, did you find that some of the most capable workers were a challenge to manage?

I'll meet you there, 5 years, smoke a fat joint with hash.

ya mon, we'll hang out with some dreadlocked tree hippies

Electric motor and pump repair here. I can handle up to about 100hp. But the trade is in decline. Farmers are not farming very much any more, industry is turning to warehousing, and very few tinkerers are tinkering. Any industry that has a production line installed usually gets a service contract so I'm cut out. HVAC supply offer stupid cheap deals to contractors on new equipment, some with 10 year warranties, so I loose on those as well. Pool, spa and water pumps do keep me busy, as well as I do rewinds for a couple other motor shops. Tree work is may be 1/3 of my time, but pays a good 80% of my income now. Stump grinding has been kind, nice to have a little hour job in the day that pays well (for me). Competition is pretty tight here for tree work. Most of the tree companies have other jobs, concrete, junk removal, roofing, decks and fencing, etc.

I'd move if I could afford it.

For about the last 27 years I've been an electrician at an auto engine plant .Two reasons,one it pays well and two the work is easy .
What small amount of actual arborist,chainsaw stuff I do is my own work .Reasons being it needs done plus it gets me some exercise I would not normally get .

Interesting, I would have thought from your avatar that you are a full on tree man.

Back