August Hunicke Videos

speaking of clever mentors...
I am on about the last 25 seconds of the Jerry interview video edit. Doesn't sound like much time left to edit except that I am trying to design this life collage effect for the end.
Should be uploading this video early next week I figure.

I would love to have had a mentor. A patient enthusiastic clever mentor. Someone who wants to teach.

August...that is very well put. You have well described a man that I have worked with for about 40 years now. For the last 10 years, once a week, three of us go to this man's home and he patiently works with us...for a long time I thought he was teaching us things. Then, one night on the way home, about midnight, I had the sudden understanding that he was our guide...he shows us the way to self exploration and testing that leads to understanding. To realize that he is more guide than teacher was a real epiphany. It started shaping the way I worked with what he shared.

Anytime someone can find a mentor/guide vs a teacher/coach they are on a road to a better understanding of the art of craft they are exploring. Thanks for stating your mentor wish; it was the catalyst that just got me to put the above into words.

August, we can all see the same thing and come away with something different. My up and coming climber is a millenial, and I have had the discussion with him about being a bitch when he's hurt. I had a hitch put on the front off my old Suburban for pushing my grinder around, worked a champ . Please clean out your pre-filter.

speaking of clever mentors...
I am on about the last 25 seconds of the Jerry interview video edit. Doesn't sound like much time left to edit except that I am trying to design this life collage effect for the end.
Should be uploading this video early next week I figure.

Looking forward to it, August!

August,
thanks for being open to the possibility. i would appreciate the work and the opportunity to learn. I'm 37 and enjoy working, just had my first kid a year and a half ago, so I'm settling down pretty good. own too much climbing gear and not enough rigging gear. ready to roll
Levi,
Gasquet is a nice change from arcata / eureka. spent most of today working in the yard and moving rocks in the river to make a pool for the little one. too bad i can't get more work around here because i have never been so happy anywhere else i lived

Yeah, August, when I wrote that disparragement about his "positivity religion," a little voice said, (Cory gets the voice too) "Don't write that." I did it anyway, and now I feel bad and was probably wrong. Weird thing too, I got home pretty late from a friend's party with my little girls, and my wife goes: "if I put on Buckin Billy Ray, will you rub my feet?" Anyway, his video said to be kind and smile to people, especially people out there on the street. I remember thinking, "Man, that guy's probably not even a Christian, and he'll still wind up being a better Christian than I'll ever be on my best day." God's the Judge, ya know...

Cory: I can't tell you what that means to me brother... You've got heart. And guts too to write that in front of all these "tough guys." Oh, no... am I becomming a millennial now?

Willie: That gave me a laugh. Made me think that Clarence would really like it.

and my wife goes: "if I put on Buckin Billy Ray, will you rub my feet?" Anyway, his video said...

Willie: That gave me a laugh. Made me think that Clarence would really like it.

What a good marriage, she knows how to work it and apparently you do to! That's tree Houser quote material!

Clarence wouldn't watch 20 seconds of that nonsense!

Ahhh, you're probably right... different times, different measures. He just seemed really down on the lack of work ethic in the Oregonian youth. Small wonder. He did seem to really like Matt Metcalf though, which I thought was kinda cool of him.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/g9Yx7OfNhus" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Too funny. I worked with the crew the other day and they didn't understand my hand signals. Millennials :eyerollk

August you know you don't have to do that every time right? Once they are all paired one time they stay linked, you just turn them on and hit the button.....

August you know you don't have to do that every time right? Once they are all paired one time they stay linked, you just turn them on and hit the button.....

Yeah but we have 8 guys who are constantly divided up differently for jobs.
It's not the same crew every day.
This is the only way we can do it that we can count on when someone is getting left out.
Factory reset, begin hat dance.

Sounds like your company has grown quite a lot lately, impressive! Yet you still climb a lot too, apparently. How is that going, managing and still climbing?

Cory, I am mostly run a three man crew but every week I try to get one or two days with the big crew which is shared between myself and another company.
As far as climbing and falling.… If I'm not on site I find efficiency is diminished. But I definitely don't climb everything anymore.

Interesting point, of course when I first got into it I thought of nothing but being the guy in the tree, the one who all the guys want to be , and all the ladies want to be with! (Ha ha)
But I've got to say that I get a real buzz these days out of turning up with some guys, good quality machinery and knocking out a job in time.
From start to finish, the first knock on the door at a new clients house to quote a job, to banking the cheque, it's a beautiful thing.

Back