Grapple/loader Truck

squisher

THE CALM ONE!!!!
Anyone on here have on in their line-up. If so what type and what do you like/dislike about it.

I'm thinking of one for my next addition to the fleet. I would think one that has a removable roof so you could use it as a chip truck too would be the most versatile set-up. Also thinking of not to big single rear axle so I wouldn't need a fancy pants license.

I've never even seen one in real life no one around here that I know of has one. Seems like it could be a very useful tool.

Just starting my research into it so all info/opinions are welcome.

I currently have a forestry/chipper combo and another truck (ghetto 1ton) that pulls a dump trailer. The odd time my bucket has been down has really shown me how much it sucks not to have a 2nd truck that can hold a decent amount of chippage. Also the mini has shown me how much I like material handling equipment. So a grapple truck set up right seems like it might be the ticket.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You trying to confuze me?

I'm pretty sure I want one, I just would like to know of others experiences. Then I just have to make all the stars align just right and maybe I can make one appear in my driveway.

I've had some experience with the Peterson lightning loaders which would be the size you're looking for. IMO skip the removable caps, they will end up taking up valuable ground space out behind your barn. If your chipper is down then just grapple everything and bring it home to burn later.

Grapple trucks are awesome man, know of someone in OH, no longer runs chippers, just uses grapple trucks. Has 3 or 4 I think, and some pup trailers. Big azz trucks, way bigger than what you want, but a sweet set up.

Back on topic, we've always wanted a truck your size. We've thought about removing the tool boxes that sit behind the cab on our chip truck and mounting a grapple/k-boom there in its place, but haven't had the money to do it yet.

EDIT: A plus to having the removable cap is if you have a big chipping job and fill up your main chip truck you always have that one there to chip into while you dump the other or if you can fit it all on two trucks in one trip thats great also.

Yah there's lots of self-loading logging trucks around here 6 or 7 axle is the standard there but for log lengths. No one around here has a smaller one with just sides and whatnot for cramming whatever you'd like into.

Just thought I'd start a thread as it's an idea I'm kicking around and I don't really recall anyone mentioning them much on here. I see loads of them on the treetrader. I would definetly be importing again I think.

I've always wanted one.

Every outfit is different but I would lean away from something with a removable roof, sounds like a time eater and a hassle, over time. It's the same old story: the more multi purpose something is, the less perfect it will do a certain given task. Sorta like a forestry bucket vs a rear mount.

Holy crap MB that must be a hell of a truck.

Chips dump for free around here is why I was thinking of the back-up chipping option. Seems like if it was just always off but you needed it and it was out behind the barn and the grapple just grabs it and plunks it on that it wouldn't really effect the utility of the truck operating without it. Or is where the removeable lid mounts a area that is subject to damage/abuse with general loading? All things I have no idear about really.

Also thought that at times when I land municipal chipping contracts that it would allow me the option of still freeing up my bucket so I could do real treework with it still while another crew was hucking brush.

Again I'm open to all opinion/ideas!

Any thoughts on a grapple trailer, instead?

I've never really seen one with sides, like you could just load nasty debris into as well as wood/logs. I know you and Mike run with a sweet grapple trailer and Brendon has one now too right? Any links/pics/prices?

8%27%20sides-bigox.jpg

Seems like that would be a bonus whether it was for chips or just full-time grappling. I mean more room is more room right?

Thanks for the info.

It IS nice to have one less motor, transmission, and rear-end to worry about. Much cheaper to insure, too. We run pickets, but you could build mesh sides easy enough, too; in a pinch, I've just stuck plywood on the inside of the pickets.

View attachment 39641

I'm thinking I'd have to buy another truck to haul something like that though. Definetly something to think about.

Mikey pulls it behind the 1-ton Duramax without much trouble.

I'll admit I can load it heftier behind my 270 New Holland, Eaton-Fuller 9-speed and Rockwell deuce rear, though. :D

If you really wanted to get fancy you could buy a grapple truck and a dump trailer.

Here's a few examples of a Peterson Lightning Loader.

petersen.JPG

freightliner-grapple-truck-for-sale-1.jpg

brushpickup%281%29.gif

6039372.jpg

truck_grapple.png

Well that's the thing I already have a dump trailer. So I could still utilize it too if I wanted. I like the idea of a good sized trash truck that isn't pulling a trailer though. Trailers always seem to cause problems sooner or later.

I like the looks of those trailers but then I'd have to find a used trailer and I'd have to get another truck to haul it. Part of my thinking in getting a grapple truck is because I'm going to have to do something before to long as my 1ton ghetto truck isn't getting any newer.

Yah Brian on the Treetrader it seems about 95% of those grapple trucks are from Florida. Y'all have the market cornered down there.

Lots of them here because we have so much stuff that is difficult to chip, such as palm fronds. Most companies that have them use them instead of chippers, or only use chippers in limited situations. We also have a steady supply of used ones via retired municipality trucks.

I think we can put a grapple on this one.

Back