Rayco SuperJr 25 HP stump grinder project.

SouthSoundTree-

TreeHouser
This is my initial attempt at selling this,with pictures. I had it for sale without pics and got some nibbles, but haven't had time to move on showing it.

http://seattle.craigslist.org/oly/hvo/4755784089.html pictures in the ad. Text below.

$2500 firm.

Needs some TLC, including a new starter/ solenoid for 25 hp onan engine. If you're mechanically inclined and have the time, this could be a good small grinder for you. I'm buying a new, higher HP grinder attachment for a machine, and don't have time for fixing this.

The oil plug has a drip of a leak. Getting a shorter belt for the clutch to jack shaft, and sliding the engine closer will be better for tensioning the belt. Fourth picture shows where the oil drip plug has the leak. When my friend installed the engine and belt, he didn't account for the swing bringing the frame can plug into contact at the very end of the range of motion tothe left with the cutter head all the way down. This pressed the frame into the plug. A person could probably cut/ grind the frame back a little bit, like an 1/8 to 1/4" and have clearance. You would probably get better tension-ability with a 1/2" shorter belt, if the current mounting plate will allow. Again, I don't have time to trouble shoot all of it. I have a toddler. I'm buying new.

Carb will need to be cleaned. Marvel Mystery Oil seems to clean varnish well, but this has sat for two to three years (again, I have a toddler).

Converted to Vermeer drive belts, cheap to replace. Lower bearing were replaced recently. Electric clutch, as well.

The Onan engine was sold to me and installed by trustworthy friend (to me, you don't know him from Adam,right?). He got it from the county. The county had two erosion control straw sprayers. The one had a better auger/ feeder something or other, so it got used more. This engine is reported as low hours. Best I can tell you. Parts for Onan are available through Cummins Northwest south of Olympia, near/ in Centrailia/ Chehalis area. If you have time, Ebay would be cheaper. I don't have time.

Vermeer Yellow Jacket grinder teeth.

Self-propelled, fully hydraulic, with extendable tongue.

Approx. 1000 pounds. Fits through 3' gate. 8' long with tongue retracted.

I would prefer to sell to someone out of my service area. Please note where you work.

I have had some bites on CL. Just thought I should put it up here, too. Any input on the price?

Looks a lot of money for that, I had one for ten or more years, was great, I traded it in for 700 quid for the 35 hp version.
On the open market I could have got 2 grand maybe. But it was all working if a little tatty.
My advice, pay more, get something better.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
My figuring is that I'll start at $2500 firm, even if I have a little room to move. If people are still interested, they're not just kicking tires. I can always come down.
This is sitting in my shop, and I could winch it onto a trailer to take it to show someone, but otherwise its inviting the general public to my home/ shop, which I avoid. I"ll probably trailer it. Maybe set up appointments to meet the interested parties on a saturday, at one hour intervals. Load it once and show it, ready to deliver it, as needed for cash in hand.

I just don't want to leave money on the table with several "really interested" parties.

I'm leaning toward a Stumper Industries. I just keep getting too many stump requests, and I realize that its low risk work, though boring and tedious.

I could be pulling levers on stumps while a paid climber is doing more strenuous, dangerous work. I'm going to look to hire an occasional climber, freeing me up to do other things. Hopefully giving me more energy and attention to sales and finances.

Feels high to me as well. I personally don't like the onan engines. Even bigger turn off is it's not running, that degrades the price dramatically because people don't know how much work they'll have to put into it. It's very comforting to see it start and run when buying from a stranger

Ya, you bet. Thanks.

I will feel the market. I don't really expect to get $2500.

If you were in the market for a fixer from a stranger, what would you guess as fair both ways?

One of the reasons I took my old one back to the UK is I didn't want someone near me buying it and taking work off me and my shiney new one.

If they are going to get work, they are going to get work. You won't stop them. There's other cheap grinders out there if they are intent on buying one and taking over the world.

It's like virgin territory here for grinding, I'm the only show in town. I want to keep it that way as long as possible..

Exactly, Mick.

I can see that, Mick. It converts to $1570.

We will see what the market will bear. I'm not out to rip someone off. Its one of those mechanic's specials types. Hard to gauge value on an old machine, especially not running.

Its been a long time since I messed with it (with too little time to see it through). If the starter is good, can I do some direct connect for power to turn it over?

I bought my chipper from a guy that had a complete corner on the market in his small town. He expressly was only selling it out of town. He lived in Point Roberts, WA, a small town on the north side of the Strait of Juan de Fuca. You went through Canada to get to this isolated point of US land.

It's like virgin territory here for grinding, I'm the only show in town. I want to keep it that way as long as possible..

I can understand that in the French countryside. Sean, I don't believe Olympia is similar. However, that's your call to make and I think eBay would be a good route to take. That's a lot of viewer traffic. I'd bet you'd get a good buck out of it. Lots of luck and congrats on the new purchase headed your way.

Thanks. I was thinking this would do it. If I can get it running that way, I may just fix it, or pay someone else to fix it.

May just be a pet peeve of mine but I would try to have pics of "only" the grinder.

Can you move it out in the open so none of the other stuff is in the pic?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd say 1000- 1500 as well. Always hard to judge from pictures

I agree, until it runs, its just a project. The buyer would not know if they'd be replacing the entire motor. I think if you can get it to run and function, you could sell it for $2500+ all day.

I'll probably at least pull it out and clean it.

Try shorting the starter to remember where my problem lies.

I may regain momentum. I've been building it over the last year, but am tired now.

Back