Older Husqvarna ignition question

woodworkingboy

TreeHouser
My favorite limbing saw, the 242xp suddenly won't spark. It has one of the SEM AM 7 ignition types, the kind that has a trigger mechanism down by the flywheel, and the coil up by the carburetor. I have seen the upper part referred to as the "secondary coil", and the trigger as an "electric box". Does anyone have experience with which one of those parts is likely to have failed? Possibly they could be checked out? It wasn't difficult to start when hot or anything, just all of a sudden no spark. Plug is ok and the wiring looks good too.. Looking for the parts on ebay, there is only the upper coil part available for the 242xp, and pricey, but the same part number is used for the coil on the 281 or 288, and some are sold with the trigger mechanism as a set, a number of them available....a lot cheaper. The trigger mechanism for those is only off by the last digit on the part number, from the one on my 242. I suspect that both units are the same for all those Huskys using the same two part ignition, just a guess though, can anybody verify? The Husky places around here aren't worth a hill of beans when trying to get such information. I know that the same ignition was for sure used on a Husky 42 and 246.

Didn't we have a Husky dealer check into the house recently?

Thanks for the help, I'm kind of antsy to get that saw back into service.

There is a couple different primary's. They don't all match.
It needs to be correct Primary (Generator part) and flywheel. Not so difficult with secondary...

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thanks guys. Seems like the primary is different, hence the different number. I'll try and check with William. Thanks for the help.

Unfortunately, William doesn't check into the house very regular, or wonder if we will hear from him again? I still can't get a clarification on those parts.

What number is on your primary?

Have you checked it so it is busted? Remove kill switch wire, check distance between flywheel and primary coil so it is correct. Test with a correct NEW tested plug well grounded and see. No sparking check if there is power up to secondary coil.

:|: I have to confess, when checking for no spark, i forgot to remove the kill wire. It ends up the problem was a bad switch. Thanks for going to the trouble, Magnus and Steve.

Back