Massachusetts ALB boundary expanding... AGAIN.

• Thread starter NeTree
  • Start date
  • Replies 18
  • Views 2K
N

NeTree

Argh. And more host trees. :|:

EXPANSION OF ALB QUARANTINE INTO AUBURN

The boundaries of the Regulated Area for the ALB Quarantine have been expanded due to the confirmation of infested trees in the southwest section of Worcester, adjacent to the Auburn town line. Currently a 98 square mile area is under strict regulation by the Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR) by order of the Commonwealth of Massachusetts to prevent the further spread of this infestation. This order prohibits the movement or transport of all ALB regulated materials from this area to any location outside of the quarantine zone. Please refer to the enclosed map.

TWO ADDITIONAL HOST TREES ADDED TO THE LIST
Effective immediately, the golden rain tree (Koelreuteria spp.) and the katsura (Cercidiphyllum spp.) are included in the list of regulated genera for Asian Longhorned Beetle, Anoplophora glabripennis. This action is in response to new scientific information which revealed that ALB is able to complete a full life cycle in both types of trees.

STATE AND FEDERAL REGULATIONS
All businesses and individuals are prohibited from moving ALB regulated material, including firewood (all hardwood species), and green lumber and plant material living, dead, cut, or fallen, inclusive of nursery stock, logs, stumps, roots, branches, and debris of one half inch or more in diameter of the following genera Acer (maple), Aesculus (horse chestnut), Albizia (mimosa), Betula (birch), Celtis (hackberry), Fraxinus (ash), Platanus (sycamore), Populus (poplar), Salix (willow), Sorbus (mountain ash), Ulmus (elm), Koelreuteria (golden rain tree), and Cercidiphyllum (Katsura) out of the Regulated Area unless it has been chipped to less than one inch in two dimensions. Once chipped, the material is deregulated and can be removed.

All businesses and individuals performing work inside the Regulated Area in a commercial capacity which involves woody material of the ALB host trees are required to maintain a valid Compliance Agreement with the ALB Program. Our records indicate that your agreement has expired. Please be advised that it is your responsibility to renew your agreement on a yearly basis in order to avoid potential criminal penalties.

Worcester Office 508-852-8090
Toll free 866-702-9938
Regulatory Office 508-852-8110
Fax 508-852-8041

In the '60s a Beatle invasion was a good thing, as far as the Fab Four went;
these Longhorned types are becoming a royal pain in the arse

I'd guess that means more FS climbers and Smokejumpers likely to invade your territory, Erik...be kind, remember they will be from out of town, but generally of good intent.
:)

Not to belittle the badness of the bug and having it get outside what we hoped would be control zones, dammit.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
No skin off my nose, Burnham... the more the merrier. It needs stopped here, or we're in a world of shit.

Sadly, I fear the world of s**t may be the inescapable future, so far as invasive flora/fauna goes. Past history doesn't offer much in the way of optimistic outcomes.

Time for Mayer to buy another something huge to further attack the problem..

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
They're running out of room as it is. :lol:

Sadly, I fear the world of s**t may be the inescapable future, so far as invasive flora/fauna goes. Past history doesn't offer much in the way of optimistic outcomes.

Actually the USDA/APHIS has an excellent track record of achieving erradication.

On the bright side the Boston infestation is under control and the injection program has begun.

i cant believ he new list of species it affects

and that there can be criminal penalties for moving materials out of the quarentine

jeez we dont do anything if you move sudden oak death out of the quarentine area

i guess thats cali for ya, make up rules and have no funds, intent or ability to enforce them

good luck keeping it under control

Actually the USDA/APHIS has an excellent track record of achieving erradication.

On the bright side the Boston infestation is under control and the injection program has begun.

Agreed, but it's a small bright spot in an otherwise dismal history of alien species introductions around the world, for several hundred years.

Tell that to endemic flora and fauna species of the Hawaiian Islands, as a particularly ugly example.

Maybe in an urban environment that's been substantially degradated already, but in more natural settings they are pretty bad news for the natives.

Shoot, Brian...that stuff has made major inroads up into the mountains of western N. Carolina now. It wasn't that far north at all when I was in college at WCU in the early 70's. It's a mess.

A small patch on a railroad fill was found recently here in western Oregon. They dug up about an acre of ground down 8 feet deep and treated the soil like it was from a hazmat site.

Tell that to endemic flora and fauna species of the Hawaiian Islands, as a particularly ugly example.

Maybe in an urban environment that's been substantially degradated already, but in more natural settings they are pretty bad news for the natives.

I love Scothbroom. It's easy on the eyes. I've got some cool ones with red/yellow flowers.

Driving up here to Seattle, I noticed that Scotch broom has an incredible toe hold along that disruption zone of the freeway.

Yellow invasives running wild splashing color and chasing those rain day blues away. Besides, monoculture is easier.

Back