Kretz/brittle cinder

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I just learned of this fungal infection this morning. Have any of you interacted with a Kretz infected tree? Is it easy to detect? I need to see if it’s in the mid Atlantic area. Preliminary reading suggests it is widespread.

Edit: upon further reading, it SEEMS hypoxylon is another name for this fungus? If so, @pigwot gave me some clear instructions on it. I’d still like to know your experiences with it though.

Last edited:
We have a lot of Hypoxylon canker here in Florida. I've never heard it called Kretz. It can kill a tree quickly once infected. Limbs become very brittle and even large >12" limbs can fail without warning. I would avoid climbing a dead infected tree if possible.

Are you sure you are not referring to Kretzschmaria deusta (maybe it is called Kretz for short)? It is a type of wood decay fungi, also called Brittle Cinder Fungus. This would be different than Hypoxolon Canker.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Are you sure you are not referring to Kretzschmaria deusta (maybe it is called Kretz for short)? It is a type of wood decay fungi, also called Brittle Cinder Fungus. This would be different than Hypoxolon Canker.
So these are 2 different afflictions with the same effects?

Kretzschmaria is generally a basal decay, hypoxolon is more often up in the crown or further up the trunk.

The danger in K deusta is that the tree often appears healthy and has a full "sail" and the wind will snap it right off the root plate (or what's left of it)
It can be difficult to see the fruiting bodies, especially with low landscaping around the root flare. They appear black and almost like roofing tar spilled.
IMO its a matter of when not if there is failure.

Hypoxolon appears as a smoother almost plaster look, can be grey, brown, or even almost black. Weakens cellulose in wood fiber, hence the nickname "climber killer"

Both are in a short list of decay fungi that are paramount for us tree guys to know.

Back