Is This Saw Worth Pursuing? - Homelite XL

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Haven't used my pig of a canoe in awhile. I could use it with that!

Seriously though ... for $50 if it’s a runner and it fits the bill then yah - those saws last long time - just don’t expect fast cut/cut like you wood get from a modern pro saw

I guess that's kind of the question. It looks clean, and the price is cheap, but is there anything about it that makes it desirable? I have every spot filled from 25cc-90cc, so it isn't like I *need* another saw, but... I might go up tomorrow, and see what it runs/looks like in person. Maybe that'll give me the answer.

I like older saws, but I really insist on a chain brake... so not THAT old I guess. Personal preference though. I got an old 024 Super that I’m really digging, and if I ever see a good one for a nice price I’d buy an 009.

@Al Smith can probably tell you oodles about that machine.

I'd prefer a brake, but it's not a deal breaker. I did a little reading around, and it looks like parts can be tricky to get. Not impossible, but I don't know that I have the dedication to keep it maintained. I'll give it some thought. I might stop in to take a look, and see if I fall in love or something. I like stopping in every so often anyway. Been thinking about getting another egg beater drill for the house. I have my old one in the truck. The chuck has a bunch of slop in it from years of abuse, so I could use a good one anyway. They had one for $7 last time I was there, but I wasn't sure how much I needed another one.

I wouldn't pursue that thing at all. But I'm pretty much only ever going to put money into pro level saws.

I started out green with a homeowner MS 210 won from a raffle and a brand new Husqvarna “rancher” 455 - Then I had a pair of farm/ranch MS 290s and a 391 ... Finally upgraded to the STIHL/Husqvarna Pro saws and got rid of the old gear. The Pro saws are noticeably lighter for the same or more hp, feature superior construction/durability and because of how they are designed , take to modding well. If I knew back then what I know today, I would invest in Pro saws only ... ymmv

Thanks Magnus. If a saw collector says "no", that's a good reason to decline. I don't need any shelf decorations :^)

Actually I really can't say much about that model .Back in it's day when I was a teenager it was Mac 250 .As far as Homelite though that saw in my avatar is a classic red wood slayer .
I've got a couple Xl's in one of my sheds some place ,freebies. I may or may not get them running .

Back