Instagram

The longer the wheelbase the better! I've known pipeline welders that would get a quad cab and long bed, and then cut the frame off just past the shackles to make it shorter, and then run a flatbed or custom one. That way they had the long wheelbase for driving long distance but overall it was a bit shorter so they could turn around better on a narrow right of way. Also for fords at least the 450s have a wider front axle so they turn like a Honda civic, meanwhile my 350 is like an aircraft carrier :lol:

I drove an Isuzu NPR which is a cab over and I enjoyed the turn radius. Also it was easy to see the front bumper from the cab making maneuvering easier. I didn’t really think about having a front row seat to a head on collision though. Glad to be in a Transit cab now, for the safety factor.

The longer the wheelbase the better! I've known pipeline welders that would get a quad cab and long bed, and then cut the frame off just past the shackles to make it shorter, and then run a flatbed or custom one. That way they had the long wheelbase for driving long distance but overall it was a bit shorter so they could turn around better on a narrow right of way. Also for fords at least the 450s have a wider front axle so they turn like a Honda civic, meanwhile my 350 is like an aircraft carrier :lol:
How does a long wheelbase help?

Let's say you're gonna hit a bump, with a shorter wheelbase your truck will angle up more, and you'll feel it more. Same with steering, the longer the less responsive it is, so you don't have to work as hard to keep it straight. It's a lower sensitivity to adjustments, so it's easier to keep straight. When I'm driving my wife's jeep it feels like I'm constantly making small adjustments and I'm all over the place, but my truck feels like it's on rails going down the road, barely needing any input to stay in the lane. Seems excessive and very nitpicky until you work 12 hours and then gotta drive 5 or more to get home to see the family for a bit, then having a truck that seems like it's driving for you is very very nice.

The turning radius is almost the only reason I still have my 450.

Yeah i didn't know that before, and then we were working down a small city street that was torn up for new utilities. Come quitting time the guy in the 450 just whipped it around, and I'm stuck doing the Austin powers turnaround lol.

Back