Holzfforma saws

Bluetick

Treehouser
What's the deal with Holzfforma chainsaws. I cut firewood for our house, cut up windfalls and other cleanups, and sometimes have been motivated to fell a tree. I could use a saw that can run a longer bar (around 28-32") but the prices for Husqvarna and Stihl are too high. For what I do, would a Holzfforma fit the bill?

Not if you just want to buy a saw and expect it to work flawlessly. They're better for hobbyists. Buy one, replace some marginal parts with oem, and tinker with it off and on as problems showup. Echo would a better bet to get a good saw and save some money, but you're still looking at ~$1k for a saw to power those bar lengths. The cs590 will run a 24" bar, with 20" being ideal, and cost <$500.

BTW, welcome to The House!

edit:
What I mean by "hobbyist" is someone who enjoys working on machines as a hobby. You almost certainly will be doing work on it, and it would be costly(ruin the reason you bought it) to have it professionally serviced if you can even find a shop willing to work on a clone.

Well they are a mixed bag, some good some bad. Are you a gambler? Roll the dice.
They have a different drive link count than the real saws so you need to make custom loops of chain.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I don't mind replacing parts and tinkering; I have to do that already with the two saws I have. But if it's a never-ending thing everytime I need to use it, that would make it not worth it. My other alternative is to by a used saw from my neighbor who used to be an arborist.

I don't mind replacing parts and tinkering; I have to do that already with the two saws I have. But if it's a never-ending thing everytime I need to use it, that would make it not worth it. My other alternative is to by a used saw from my neighbor who used to be an arborist.
Personally for my money I would buy real deal used saws over China knockoffs any day of the week. But if you want to gamble good luck and fortune.

Not if you just want to buy a saw and expect it to work flawlessly.
I don't expect the good brands to work flawlessly, that's why I inspect them very closely and don't get my hopes up when trying them for the first time. The 3 big brands can easily have issues out of the box. It seems like the pre built chinese saws are better than the DIY kit built ones. They can work well, but it is best to research the common problems found on the particular model you want. Also they vary by what brand and factory they come from. There are many different factories building the common Husqy and Stihl models.

Dunno. I've had four Stihls, two Huskies, and three echoes. Aside from voluntary work, and one coil failure, I haven't done anything more than pull the cord to get them to work.

I've seen a few stihl oil pump failures, heard of folded gaskets and missing screws on Husqys, and Echos can be too lean out of the box.

I can see the appeal of the cheaper chinga copies, I was temped once, but after watching the build threads on several forums, the general theme was most of the saw was replaced with original stihl/ husky parts to make it work.
better off getting a basket case original saw, and rebuilding it, and often cheaper too.
Many toasted big end crank bearings, failed decomps taking out the slug and jug, many carbs that wont hold a tune, or wont idle etc.
its a total lottery, some just run and run, but most have many issues, many failed starter recoils, the list just goes on and on.

personally, I am glad I just stuck with OEM stuff, buy once, pay once, cry once, but enjoy the cost vs price over time.
I dont want to second guess a saw when im half way thru a back cut, or have one fail when im out collecting firewood, wasting a day due to a failed saw.

up to you in the end, but I chose not to go that way, just too much drama and unknown, as mentioned earlier, get a cheap basket case and rebuild it if your interested in tinkering with saws, you will learn a lot and have invested into something that will last for many years if you diagnose, repair it correctly.

edited for typos

The 660's seem good other than the tensioner. On my kit built saw, I just modified the oil pump to put out a lot more since it was stingy. The oil pickup line is the only OEM part I can remember. I went with a slightly modified MMWS Cross cylinder, and it has loads of torque. The off switch is touchy. I've run some non huztl 365's of 2 different kinds. One worked well after a new oil pump, the others were very strong, but had too long of a crank shaft or something so the clutch wouldn't always engage with the oil pump.

If you don't have money, you don't have money. Nothing wrong with that, but rebuilding a genuine saw will cheaply provide longer lasting value imo. If you have money but don't want to spend it, I don't think it's a sensible strategy. Prorating the cost of a pro saw over it's lifetime equals very little money on a per year basis. For example, I paid $1.3k for my 661 +36" bar. For my non pro use, I expect it to last 20 years. Add $300 to that for various fairly superficial repairs, you get $1.6k/20=80/yr, $6.67/month, or 22¢/day. All for a saw that Just Works™ when I pull it out to use it. No wondering, no worrying, no driving out to the site, and it doesn't work.

What's the deal with Holzfforma chainsaws. I cut firewood for our house, cut up windfalls and other cleanups, and sometimes have been motivated to fell a tree. I could use a saw that can run a longer bar (around 28-32") but the prices for Husqvarna and Stihl are too high. For what I do, would a Holzfforma fit the bill?
Well I've built a few of the chusky 372s
one Holtzfforma and a few weird named one's I got from somewhere else AliExpress I think 200.00 shipped.
I've ran them and my friends and family borrow them often
It's been over 4 year's I wouldn't recommend them for a newbie
They are inconsistent build quality
Usually carb issues are common.
Fuel and impulse lines didn't last long.
I happened to have a large stash of 365/371/372 parts and bar's from running 371/372s since they came out
that's why i bought them.
I've cut a lot with them IMG_20220809_085919224_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220809_085042094_HDR.jpg
Best to find oem if the price isn't too crazy but if you like to tinker they are fun.

Back