Gear purchase question

rangerdanger

TreeHouser
Don't know if this thread belongs here or not but here it goes.

Since I've started getting serious about climbing and work, I've bought all my own climbing gear. Ropes, saddles, etc. As far as rigging goes, I haven't gotten into that at all, because we don't do that much technical stuff.

But after that speedline job, I realize our company is behind in what rigging gear we own and what we should own. As of now, we have 1 block, 1 stainless steel pulley, and 2 steel biners. Sling wise, we're good.

Dad plans to buy some more steel biners, some pulleys, etc. But there's no telling when it will happen and what he'll buy.

So, my question is, when does it fall to the climber or employee to start buying gear to be used by the company. Anything I buy, I want to be sure that it's treated well, and looked out for when I'm not there.

As a general rule, employees don't buy equipment for the company. If you buy your own gear to use at work, it's YOURS and you keep it with you.

I don't know how most companies do it, but when I was an employee, I didn't buy a dang thing! Where I work now, I bring my own saws, but only because I don't run the small ones provided.

What you decide to invest and how it would be used is up to you. But, whether you can use it on a company job is up to the company.

I've worked places where it was mandatory that only Co. owned equipment was on the trucks because of liability issues. Where I currently work I have about $1500.00 worth of equipment on my truck and when I won't be at work I take it all home.

Having your own tools is great as you are use to using them, but when working for a company its always good to ask about things first before investing in something. And are you sure you want to wear out your personal gear for a company job to get done?

Yup, Jay is right. We're talking about tree guys here (even if it is your dad and his employees). If it's your gear then you should be responsible for keeping it secure. Nobody else will give a second thought to keeping your gear in good condition or even making sure it gets back on the truck after the job. It's great that you want to buy stuff and share it with the company but that is not a wise move. I was guilty of the same mindset for many years and NOBODY will ever appreciate it. You will never get so much as a "Thank you" but I can guarantee that you will lose gear.

I bought my own steel 2T block and single-eye sling a while back because I didn't trust the company's top-point rigging gear. That was my first rigging gear purchase, and I didn't leave it with anyone at the company. I kept it with me like my climbing gear.

I still use that block and sling too! It's old, but I've taken good care of it.

So, maybe if you want some piece of rigging that you know you'll use a lot and stay connected to, but otherwise, I'd just use what your dad gets. You can always try to direct the direction of certain purchases though... :D

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
You can always try to direct the direction of certain purchases though... :D

That's what I'm trying to do over here. My eventual goal is to have a GRCS in our arsenal by May of next year. Along with a new Bull Rope, another block or two, some pulleys, and most important, some steel biners!!

Yup, Jay is right. We're talking about tree guys here (even if it is your dad and his employees). If it's your gear then you should be responsible for keeping it secure. Nobody else will give a second thought to keeping your gear in good condition or even making sure it gets back on the truck after the job. It's great that you want to buy stuff and share it with the company but that is not a wise move. I was guilty of the same mindset for many years and NOBODY will ever appreciate it. You will never get so much as a "Thank you" but I can guarantee that you will lose gear.

:thumbup:

Were I used to work it was my climbing gear, thats it.

I had all the goodies for rigging, but he was so old school he didn't want anything of it. So we used his lowering line, no pulleys, no lowering device.

Trees took longer, but I got payed by the hour. :lol:

Ive supplied all the rigging for my outfit from day one. When
I worked for other outfits I used the rigging gear provided. I currently have a climber that brings all his own stuff, rigging, climbing saw, poles etc. I told him from day one that I provide all that stuff and won't be replacing it if it get broke. I find it annoying to have this extra bags full of stuff that rides in the back of the truck cause it wont fit in the boxes. If you buy it, save it for your own jobs

If you are an employee or subcontractor... I would look at using supplied equipment. If the equipment should fail.. And you were not the factor.. No liability. People are law suite happy and always ready to pass the buck.. Insurance companies not withstanding.. Supplying your own equipment opens a liability factor IMO when working for someone else. For some I am sure it could be peace of mind ;)

I'm with everyone here. It's good to start accumulating some rigging gear, but that will be for when you do jobs on your own.

SAVE MONEY FOR COLLEGE!

That's my suggestion. I didn't, but you seem like you might have the potential to be smarter than me, so I'll put that forth.

As a sub, i'd have anything I may want in the truck, thats why subs get hired, tools and ability

willie's right
as a former hired gun
i had all my own climbing gear plus all the 1/2 in and 5/8 rigging i needed with a porty and a bollard

ive worked the midwest adrian
out of boonville indiana -s and s tree
and old randy in evansville
some big oaks and beech back there

get 2 isc spring blocks 5/8
and a couple shackles..( used with slings as rope guides or redirects)
and a nice 5/8 line
2 cmi 1/2 in pulleys and steel biners for rope guides or redirects
large porty, maybe a fiddle block
madsman rope puller with dedicated lines of varying length in deployment bags ( i have 1/2 in lowering lines and i keep my 1/2 in pull lines seperate)
worn out loop runners and old biners in the speedline bag
with all that gear you can damn near do anything

oh yeah 5/8 rope is spendy
i keep 1 300 ft er in a small trash can
and i change em out yearly...it gets trimmed down to various lengths as needed
all this gear
will make you money
will be lost if not inventoried daily
if ya come to cali i can show ya some of our goodies, maybe take ya to a fat removal

Thanks guys. So it looks like any rigging gear I buy will just be bought for personal use, or for when I'm on the job with the crew.

i belive it was tom smith who once told me (when i asked for some rigging) "you'll lose it or , someone will steal it"
so needless to say we did a lot of natural crotch rigging

When I get asked to subcontract, it is usually because we have some rigging gear ( and the know-how about using it!) that is needed for the job.
Like we own the only Hobbs in the country except for the one the forestry school has.
So I just tell them straight up what it is gonna cost to use my gear, on top the price of using me, and we take it from there.

Adrian, Get a handful of steel biners, just for your personal use. Can't ever have too many of those.
Get a kind that is different from the ones already in use, so you'll know they are yours at the end of the day.

Your Dad needs to buy the rigging gear out of company funds. If you start subcontract climbing, then it would be appropriate for you to own rigging equipment.

Best thing is to get jobs to pay for big capital expenses like a GRCS. Land a job that needs a GRCS and pay for half (or all) of the GRCS with the proceeds.

Steel biners are downright handy no matter what.

SAVE MONEY FOR COLLEGE!

That's my suggestion. I didn't, but you seem like you might have the potential to be smarter than me, so I'll put that forth.

AGREED!!

And even if you don't end up needing all of it for school, you can use the left over to buy a lil' chip truck. :D

Thanks guys!!! I'm pretty much set for college, with a fund my grandparents left me.

Which is great because that frees me up to save for other things, like a chip truck!! Because I've found that being able to pay cash for something up front is way better than taking out a loan. So when I do start up my own business(something I definitely plan to do not too soon after college), I'll have the cash put aside to pay cash for any major purchase, meaning I can hopefully start out debt free for the most part!

Back