Cleaning Out a Jug

Oven cleaner is the shizz. Can't remember who orginally put me on to it.

The flapper wheels work great also.

Fred

I use a wheel cylinder hone, and I keep it in the parts wash tank as I hone it.
See Ya
Mike

I use shoe hones, 2 and three shoed.

Be carefull when it comes to scoring.
Scoring is a resoult of a problem, not a problem in itself.

To replace piston alone will fix the symptom, not the issue.

Exoust side only scoring is indicating a heat issue.

Heat issues are usually fuel/air mix related. It can be carb issues, airleaks, overloading, and some other things..

Intake
only scoring is common when dirt, birds and small children gets in the engin.

Scoring all over piston happends when it is very fast expasion/heat development. This can be coused by fuel foult, like no oil mixed in fuel or something like that.

These are thumb rules that with a bit of practice and experiance can lead to very precis conclusions.

This discussion,in a sorts,has been on several sites.One thing I like about a cast iron cylinder is the fact that cast iron by it's very nature has the ability to absorb oil as kind of like sponge. I've yet to see a scored iron cylinder.I have seen several grenaded pistons but I don't think the liner material had anything to do with it.

I've never used a hone on a plated cylinder but I imagine it would be fine as long as a person didn't get carried away with it. That plating is not very thick so be carefull if you hone.

Yes sir Al you can ruin one real quick, this is why I keep submerged in the cleaning fluid, and go slow and easy. The wheel cylinder stones are very fine grit, and don't remove much at all.
See Ya
Mike

Back