Beech leaf disease

Treeaddict

Treehouser
I have a hearsay that a county official told a neighbor that her trees have BLD. I suppose it’s here already. I haven’t examined the trees yet nor have I ever encountered this disease before.

Anyone dealing with it residentially and what is it doing to the trees?

I’ve spent multiple hours reading about it but that was 2 years ago and I’ve forgotten most of it. I’ll go digging on the interweb soon and refamiliarize myself.

IME, BLD seems just a tad weaker in the woods this year. The american beeches certainly look afflicted but seem to have a bit more greenery than last year. Fingers crossed.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Saw this on a few wild beeches during a trail ride. It’s definitely here. I’ll have to examine everything I ride near. Some in the vicinity show not signs yet.

Attachments

• IMG_0077.jpeg
    IMG_0077.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0076.jpeg
    IMG_0076.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_0075.jpeg
    IMG_0075.jpeg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
Not a lot but I’m not in the woods as often as I’d like. It seems to not be very common in the residential setting. Of course beech aren’t that common in my area residentially. Apparently Ohio was mostly beech and maple forest originally.

Your pics show it for sure. I’ll check next time I’m camping since I do know they have quite a bit on the property.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It’s here at 2 of the state and college trails I ride and it’s all over our neighborhood. We’re very beech heavy in my area. I haven’t checked my massive backyard beech yet because I’m afraid it will have that damn nematode. I’ve seen some experimental treatments and need to research further. I’d pay to keep mine.

Back