A cool trick for Windows 7 and Vista users

SkwerI

Treehouser
I read this from a computer guru on another forum:

enickma said:
Cool trick for those of you running Windows 7...

Create a new folder and name it Everything.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

You don't have to use the word Everything.. the folder name could just as well be ILoveTacos.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

After naming the folder that, you should be able to open it and have a mad list of options.

I just added a new folder to my desktop and tried it, blew me away. 8)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
I can give you a screenshot showing the first part of the list of tools. 8)
It looks like it accesses all of your administrative tools in one place.

Didn't work here...I copied and pasted the info and had a folder named "Everything."

When I double clicked to see the contents a window popped up that said "Window Explorer has stopped working." Then it restarted and gave me this message:

Download updates for Windows
There was a problem with Windows that caused it to stop working correctly.

Your computer might be missing updates that can help improve its stability and security.

Go online to check for and install Important and Recommended updates.

Click to go online to the Windows Update website

In the left pane, click Check for updates. If any updates are found, click View available updates.

Select all Important updates, and then click Install. If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

Note
If you have turned on automatic updating, you might not see any Important updates listed. If this is the case, the updates have already been downloaded to your computer.

Additional information

To learn more about updating your computer, go to the Microsoft website and read the following article:

Windows Update Frequently Asked Questions

I am running VISTA....probably gonna leave this one alone for now.

When I went to see what the file/folder was it shut down Windows Explorer again. I rebooted, got explorer up and went to the directory, it shut down again. I did an end-run...used Search to find the file and was able to delete. I had created the file in my Documents directory...everytime I tried to open "Documents" it shut down Explorer.

It doesn't work here with Vista....fyi.

I just tracked this down on Google:

This works quite well on my 32bit Vista Ultimate. But if you find that this hack makes your explorer.exe unstable or makes it crash, I suggest you use the cmd to delete this folder, as follows:

Run cmd and copy paste this command and hit enter :
rd "Master Control.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"
or alternatively, if it doesnt help
rd "c:\users\%username%\desktop\Master Control.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}"
PS : This tweak is incompatible with 64bit version of Windows Vista.

Maybe I have 64 bit Vista?...don't have a clue about what that is or how to determine it.

Nope, I have 32 bit..figured that part out. I'mma gonna watch somebody else try this trick.

Good info, Gary. I wasn't aware of all that, it worked for me. But good to have the delete info in the same thread if it happens to cause issues for somebody.

XP here. I'm not up with this fancy new stuff. Or the old stuff for that matter.:lol:

I don't even know how to take that screenshot.

I am about to go Ubunta on my desk top to try out for my lap top that has Vista on it. I run XP on my desk top.
Wish me luck:|:

I like Katy's Win 7.. But I do not like how much it will cost this house to put it on 6 machines. :|::O

So, what are adminastrative rules and what can you do with them?

I just got a new machine and win 7 doesn't have windows movie maker:(

Willie, it's just a shortcut for virtually every Windows setting you have but all in one location. There's nothing new there, just a way to find it if you know what you're looking for but can't find where to change the setting.

My W7 does not have windows movie maker, it has the new Windows Live Movie Maker which has many down grades including no slow motion capability :(

Bump.......

Saw a visitor looking this one up the other night and thought I would try it on my new Windows 7 Ultimate on the new puter. Works great Brian. Thanks! It sure is helping my navigation learning curve :D

Back