Zipline, thoughts

I've utilized speed lines quite a bit over the years always with lite loads. My set up is with non locking carbiners. Obviously locking is safer. Has anyone every had a limb unclip ?

one or two, over the years. Almost all non-locking aluminum biners, here. Sling placement is a factor in getting away with it, I think.

I've utilized speed lines quite a bit over the years always with lite loads. My set up is with non locking carbiners. Obviously locking is safer. Has anyone every had a limb unclip ?

Never. But I have experienced the binding Reg spoke of when the excess binding strap's the same length as the stub above, and that stub lodges against the biner just right and puts the brakes on until jiggled free and bounced down the line. Vary the lengths between those two points by a foot or so, and you're good to go IME.

Jomo

... I never liked that the whole thing depended on two little stopper knots though....especially if youre taking it on and off...

Hmmm..... for someone who has spent the larger part of their life being suspended high off the ground on knots of many different configurations, I find the above statement out of character with your normally Vulcan-ish logic. :) A knot either works, or it doesn't. The HH knots work.:lol:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Hmmm..... for someone who has spent the larger part of their life being suspended high off the ground on knots of many different configurations, I find the above statement out of character with your normally Vulcan-ish logic. :) A knot either works, or it doesn't. The HH knots work.:lol:

I didnt really persevere with it Dave, to be honest. I tried it with the beeline (I think) that came with it. Which I felt was too short anyway....and then core started to disappear into the sleeve within a few hours. And I just thought, fock it I dont have time for this now :) .....And, I never really found the time to mess with it again.

Im sure its great once you have it dialed in. I was just pretty happy and felt safe with the RW at the time, and never got around to using the HH. It happens. I still have it somewhere. I might buy the new one when it comes out.

Hitch Hiker is great for tying into the spar on spurs. Nice and compact. It is a worthwhile tool if you get the time to fuss with it a bit.

Like Sean, I just watched this Reg, and like everybody else, I would give you a fulsome "Thanks a Ton." Guys like you are the industry's bright spots.

Good vid, very well said Reg, I like how you go 'spur of the moment' on film, tree people will get a lot out of this ;)

Reg,
In the video you said that you remove the limbs on the front side, but leave the backside limbs until after you drop the top. I believe you mentioned this would be to help counterbalance the forces where the zipline is rigged to the tree. What are your thoughts on this causing the backside to become so unbalanced at some point that the tree could start to lean over ? Are there some signs you look for ?

BTW, great work on the video !

Reg,
In the video you said that you remove the limbs on the front side, but leave the backside limbs until after you drop the top. I believe you mentioned this would be to help counterbalance the forces where the zipline is rigged to the tree. What are your thoughts on this causing the backside to become so unbalanced at some point that the tree could start to lean over ? Are there some signs you look for ?

BTW, great work on the video !

I think theyd have to be an enormous amount of weight for that to happen....or totally saturated ground or something. Hydro have been siding trees for decades, but you rarely see the trees fall over. If a tree is already showing signs of a defective root plate, then youd probably strip the limbs in a more balanced order.... regardless of whether its being rigged or not. Thanks

Reg, I took away from the video that particularly when you have an exposed site, you do well to get the top out of the tree as soon as reasonable. Stripping the front limbs cleared the way for the top. The back limbs were energy dampeners on that tall, relatively slow tapering stem. Yes/ no?

Mardenm seemed to take away the idea of limb-weight counter-balancing the vector force on the rope from pieces going down the tensioned speedline. While the limbs don't hurt, opposite the speedline, its much, much more important to dampen the wobble for the climber.

A good point about compromised root plates.

A bit of both really Sean. Either way I view the back limbs in this case as creating some resistance to movement there. On some trees, short ones especially, it's hardly going to make any difference. But on those types in the videos it puts a little extra something in your favor. There's no proof of course, but it seems logical if you think about it.

Makes perfect sense that leaving mass on th e opposing side of reactionary force would require more force to move the mass. Elementary my dear Watson :).

had a Latin contract climber work with us today for the first time.. He did OK. He had never seen a speedline before. Showed him your vid Reg and one of August's to get him clued into the idea..

We were 75-85' from the DZ, so mostly used it to move the material, which made for a lot of horizontal movement. I set a redirect block about 25-30' in a tree across the driveway to give a little more lift and keep the angle modest enough so we didn't have to use a control line.. Definitely the first speed line this year, might not have used one last year either..

REALLY GREAT to be able to show someone the concept on the computer...

Attachments

• speedline.jpg
    speedline.jpg
    172.8 KB · Views: 92
Like Sean, I just watched this Reg, and like everybody else, I would give you a fulsome "Thanks a Ton." Guys like you are the industry's bright spots.

I couldn't agree more, thanks so much for taking the time and caring about what people get out of your videos. Keep making them PLEASE buddy!

Reg, I have watched you videos for a very long time and must say well do friend. I have read your information on other forums as well again well done. May I ask a few questions though? What sort or type of rope are you using? What do you use at the bottom for an anchor? What did you make the rope slings out of? Thank you again for superb videos.

Thank again guys

Reg, I have watched you videos for a very long time and must say well do friend. I have read your information on other forums as well again well done. May I ask a few questions though? What sort or type of rope are you using? What do you use at the bottom for an anchor? What did you make the rope slings out of? Thank you again for superb videos.

Magnum. Welcome. There's a new members thread in the announcement forum. You just introduce and say a few words about your situation. Everybody does when they join.

The rope is teufelberger 16 strand I think. Could be 10, 11 mm. The slings are 8mm, SWL about 500lb....and 26in long. We choked some driftwood together for the ground anchor.....and I like using this spring gated 3t hook to re-direct or anchor the zip line to. It's much easier and faster to set wraps on than a lowering device. And with zip lining relatively light loads, one wrap is all you really need.
2015-10-13 19.37.45.jpg

Thanks for the welcome guys. I didn't think about the new people forum. My apologies. Will do it ASAP. Thanks for the info Reg. Keep up the vids, I really enjoy them both here and on the buzz.

Back