Working in wind

I have heard or read that with aging, also comes you becoming less sensitive to your need for fluid intake. Becoming thirsty takes longer to appear.

Jay, I, too, have heard that the thirst sensation is dulled as one ages.

IDK ... I'm "Older Than Dirt" and still get thirsty as hell. Deadwooding yesterday, I drank a bottle on the ground -- got half-way up, had another sent up -- drank another when I got down.

Maybe I'm younger than I thought ... :lol: ... maybe not ... 8)

Anyway, got the T-shirt :D:

5929612411_c98d312edc_n.jpg

I get thirsty as hell too when working, but apparently you are really thirsty before you know it, with aging.

Steve, thanks for posting that link to dealing with cramps. I am prone to leg cramps after a hard day.

My experience has been the opposite. When I was younger I'd work in the sun all day without drinking water and then quench my thirst in the evenings with beer or booze. Did it for years. These days I'm quick to grab water while working and even refuse to go to work without making sure the water cooler is well stocked. I always try to bring more than I think I'll need because you can't predict when delays or extra jobs will arise and I'm not going to go an extra 3 hours in the field without water.

In Cyclocross some of us stay away from it. It can make you puke.
But very seldom is the same level of physical effort put out doing tree work.

I just got a house call massage. Amy, too.

My massage therapist is always reminding me to drink water. First thing when I walk into her office, I get offered a glass.

Not that Wiki is a necessarily a great source, but most of these references look to come from professional journals--http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thirst

I work with some guys that don't drink hardly at all...maybe at 10, lunch, and 3, and they seem fine with it. I have to pour it in. It confuses the picture. Once you start sweating heavily and take a lot of water, it seems to get the cycle going.

I love my coffee! But like tea it is a diuretic.
Used to drink coffee in August while working not any more.
Regarding magnesium,some studies are showing lack of can help kick start the process of a heart attack.

Lack of it can cause a lot of things. Magnesium relaxes muscles so it's good for your heart, helps it run smoother.

Calcium is important as well, they work together 2 to 1.

This video is worth watching, he explains magnesiun pretty well.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/GUWL1o2hSrs" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Some thing else worth mentioning is that bananas are not what some folks think. Ya they got potassium. But they also spike your blood sugar & then it drops off like a rock.

Back