Work is slow....

Lol. Do western folk tend to be rammy??

Cory: I didn't even know what "rammy" mean't until I met Chris Maragulia (heck of a tree man) from Philly. We western folk are all over the board. You've got Cowboys like Jim who just want to get it done, and then you've got your "finesse folks" like Burnham, Willie, Beranek, Bix, and August, who shut off the saw super quick, and jerk out their earplugs just so they can hear the hinge.

I bet I can swing a splitting maul with as much finesse.
Back in the day when I split firewood for money by hand ( Man, all the stupid shit I have done to earn a living) I once won a bet by splitting a match with the maul.
Didn't split it really, pulverized it is more like it.
But since I hit it exactly in the middle, I was awarded the bet anyway.
A buddy and I cut and split 15 cubic meters of oak last saturday in 4½ hours, so I haven't quite lost the skill.
And with a bum shoulder, too.

I imagine you'd be a real good wood splitter, Jim.
Got that fine balance between finesse and plain old oooomph!

I love swinging the maul too Stig and it's great therapy for the mind and exercise for the body but it gives my right shoulder fits nowadays. You're right, splitting is all about technique and accuracy. Back when my kids were small, they'd always come away from the fair carrying the big stuffed animals. Ringing the bell with the sledge is the same movement, you just have to generate a little more power. Kind of like splitting live oak!

Re shoulder problems, do you swing righty and lefty to try to balance out the exercise?

Nope.
I can only swing one way if I want any power and precision.

Lol at all you guys... Hilarious stuff.

By the way: I swing both ways. (But only with the maul, mind you!)

Gary: "Resident Stump Puller." :lol::lol::lol: Ohhhh, man... :lol:... Hey, man... Somebody's got to do it.

It only takes practice. In whatever activity, when you practice with the offhand enough that you find yourself momentarily wondering if the hand you are using is your off hand or not, you've made good progress. Continued practice required to stay there and progress further.

I have a generalized, innate interest in using the body on both sides, but a lot of the specific interest in that comes from lacrosse where being able to use the lacrosse stick equally well on both sides is a major advantage. Of course, as life in general dictates the general rule of contraryness, some of the best lacrosse players of all time only play with their strong hand.

Being able to use both hands equally would be a tremendous advantage Cory, and I believe it's possible with enough discipline and practice. Imagine a pitcher being able to pitch with either arm.
Pat Venditte is in the Oakland A's organization and does just that. Pretty amazing, but it show's what's possible.

I can just barely get a base ball past my knees with me left hand.

I have equal dexterity and with both hands though. Some of the mechanics I have worked with could only support objects with their left hand. I could work by feel equally as well with both hands.

Maybe most people have equal dexterity. I am otherwise totally unremarkable!

Can anyone throw a foot ball with either hand?

Cory I didn't know until some of your more recent posts that you were into lacrosse. I played through school right up to but not into juniors. Vernon Tigers. Box lacrosse only. I was pretty skilled with both handed ness.

I am otherwise totally unremarkable!

We know better, Jim;)

Squish, that is awesome. Box lacrosse is crazy fun to play. I'm a huge lax rat. Cool that you have both hands, most box players play strictly with 1 hand afaik. Do you watch any field lax?? This is a big weekend for it, 1st round of NCAA tourney. Do you know the Thompson brothers, American indians that play for U of Albany? Myles graduated last year but Lyle thompson is a senior and he is quite likely the best collegiate laxer of all time. He has a huge box background and plays 95% righty, he had a typical game yesterday when they destroyed Cornell, had 3 g, 6 a, 9 points. If you haven't seen him yet and have an interest, he'll be playing next weekend vs #1 ranked Notre Dame on ESPNU. He plays like no one else, truly amazing. And Albany plays a fun, run and gun style of lax. If Albany wins they move onto the Final Four, if they lose, he will have played his last collegiate game.

Quite the derail, sorry PC

I don't follow it at all Cory. I've never really watched sports. It was a great sport to play as a youngster, a really positive way to vent that teenage energy.

Back